J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know if i'm in danger of bleeding money.
When I start the car - v6 2.8 auto, 1989 - a little gray vapor comes out of the exhaust. Is this a problem or just normal wear and tear? What can I do to fix it, if there's a problem?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chris88z24 said:
Thought you were ditching the car?
I can't... I just can't.
I bought a 300 dollar 96 Ford Fiesta two days ago. 300 dollars is about two or three weeks worth of gas here with my car, so the Cav is now officially a sunday car, and i'll be recouping my investment shortly by driving the Fiesta around. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
In a few months, when I move to the states, I'll decide if the cav' comes back with me. In the meantime I just can't bring myself to part with it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to insist...

Smoke is now much more blueish, and it's only when the engine is cold. Anybody know what I should check? Before something big breaks?

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,105 Posts
My truck does it, it's probably just a valve seal. I don't think it's too expensive to replace, but my truck has been doing it for a long time without any problems. Just monitor your oil level to make sure you don't burn it all up.

You can also try a few smoke preventing additives in case it's only a small leak around the valve seal.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eastcoaster said:
My truck does it, it's probably just a valve seal. I don't think it's too expensive to replace, but my truck has been doing it for a long time without any problems. Just monitor your oil level to make sure you don't burn it all up.

You can also try a few smoke preventing additives in case it's only a small leak around the valve seal.

Just a thought.
What's a valve seal? :p
And by additives, you mean that stuff you buy and add to the gas tank when you fill up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.