J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well on vacation next week so since I have more than 3 hours a week the 3400 install is GOING to be done next week.

I noticed a few issues people have had with ez clutch so i was being cautios in my purchase of other parts.

1. Internal slave issue. I double checked and all my line routing is right.

2. pressure plate hits tranny inside bell housing. Now this is the one confusing me. I held off on buying a new flywheel just in case I had to have it machined. figured i would just machine the old one if that was necessary. However today decided to whip out the vernier caliper and do some measurements. The ez clutch pressure plate (stage 3 clutch)measures exactly as the stock one. So comes my question? Did people forget to remove the shims behind the flywheel when replacing it with new? or was this a different reason?

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
rude_ideas said:
Ok well on vacation next week so since I have more than 3 hours a week the 3400 install is GOING to be done next week.

I noticed a few issues people have had with ez clutch so i was being cautios in my purchase of other parts.

1. Internal slave issue. I double checked and all my line routing is right.

2. pressure plate hits tranny inside bell housing. Now this is the one confusing me. I held off on buying a new flywheel just in case I had to have it machined. figured i would just machine the old one if that was necessary. However today decided to whip out the vernier caliper and do some measurements. The ez clutch pressure plate (stage 3 clutch)measures exactly as the stock one. So comes my question? Did people forget to remove the shims behind the flywheel when replacing it with new? or was this a different reason?
thats interesting especially if they got a new flywheel and kept the shim on.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Yeah, I think it you're the 58237854382e person with that proble... pressure plate that rub in the bellhousing. What I would do is just throw that thing away and buy another clutch that fit, EZ clutch are a fucking mess.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
scott0999 said:
88cavalierz24 said:
scott0999 said:
I must of got lucky lol mine fits fine
lol so did mine and so did daves and some more people on here lol.
we must of bought ours at "the right time" lol
you must've gotten a monday clutch...

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
sleeper said:
scott0999 said:
88cavalierz24 said:
scott0999 said:
I must of got lucky lol mine fits fine
lol so did mine and so did daves and some more people on here lol.
we must of bought ours at "the right time" lol
you must've gotten a monday clutch...
bah I think mine was a thursday clutch lol

but rude_ideas got the monday clutch ya

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
brinky said:
ya my friend and i both have that one. i love it. no problems. you really do need to look at the years.

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
The clutches are the same for all the V6's, just that in '93 they went to the internal slave which replaces the throwout bearing. I have an 87-92 EZ Clutch in my '94 :p Cheaper to buy a clutch kit that way if you still have a good slave ;)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
moonwell said:
The clutches are the same for all the V6's, just that in '93 they went to the internal slave which replaces the throwout bearing. I have an 87-92 EZ Clutch in my '94 :p Cheaper to buy a clutch kit that way if you still have a good slave ;)
i did not know that you learn somthign new every day.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
hell, i dunno what the problem is.... when i pulled my 3.1 out and split the tranny from the motor, there's a groove on the inside of the bellhousing from where the STOCK REPLACEMENT clutch hit, on the round flat area. not much of a grooze, but maybe 1/16" deep? who knows, maybe comapnies are just getting sloppy :-?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok well very interesting. I haven't had any problems yet and don't know if i will until I put the 2 together which I will be doing next week. I just am trying to track the actaul problem so I dont have to worry about it. Appears to be exactly as stock the slave already is. I do beleive the whole problem people have been having may be failure to remove the shims My 92 I stripped had part of the tranny with a groove using a stock clutch but there were shims. The 94 had no markings and no shims.

I was hoping those who have had problems would be around going "Oh shit, I was supposed to remove those? lol"

·
Registered
250 Posts
So did any one ever figure this crapin' EZ clutch hittin' the bell housing thing? I just tried to bolt up the tranny to the 3400 and low and behold the damn thing is hitting the machined area inside the bell housing. But not just hitting it, jammed against it so hard that the motor won't spin with a big ass breaker bar. I did the search and saw that other people have had the same problem, but there didn't seem to be any conclusion. There are no shims behind the flywheel. What to do now?

·
Registered
505 Posts
zgoody said:
So did any one ever figure this crapin' EZ clutch hittin' the bell housing thing? I just tried to bolt up the tranny to the 3400 and low and behold the damn thing is hitting the machined area inside the bell housing. But not just hitting it, jammed against it so hard that the motor won't spin with a big ass breaker bar. I did the search and saw that other people have had the same problem, but there didn't seem to be any conclusion. There are no shims behind the flywheel. What to do now?
This post is making me a bit concerned as I thought this issue was only affecting internally slaved transmissions. I noticed that zgoody's car is a phase 1 89' and I am assuming that the transmission is an external slave version typical for this model year. My transmission that I intend to run is also an 89'.

I am almost finished with this 3400 swap and I also purchased an EZ stage 3 clutch. I forgot to test for this issue by trying to spin my engine with the transmission bolted up. I ended up installing the engine already. In any case, the other day I had to roll the car out of the garage, I initially tried to push on it while in a forward gear it would not move. However, it did move while I had the transmission shifted to neutral.

Can anyone elaborate on whether or not I may be experiencing a problem?

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.