Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Frequently Asked Questions

Performance

1. What muffler should I get?
  2. How much did your exhaust cost?
  3. What is a "cat-back" exhaust?
  4. Should I get a cat-back?
  5. Can I remove my cat?
  6. What is cowl induction, and how does it work?
  7. Second gen Z's have cowl induction, so why add a custom cone intake?
  8. What are some cheap performance mods I can do myself?
  9. How can I put a turbo on my car?
  10. What is the difference between the turbo 3.1 and the NA 3.1?
  11. How much nitrous can I run on my engine?
  12. Will one of those electric superchargers give me lots of power?
  13. Will the E-bay +20hp chip/resistor mods work?

Answers

What muffler should I get?

If you want my opinion, go with Magnaflow. Awesome flow, as well as sound. More info on my exhaust can be found here. Most people want to go with Flowmaster, but they are really just a bunch of hype. They do NOT flow as well as they would like you to think they do. The Magnaflow flows way better, because of its straight through design. You can actually see right through the muffler, no obstructions. Another thing Flowmaster trys to get you on is the sound. The 2.8 & 3.1L V6's are such a great sounding engine, that they don't need help from baffles and trickery to get a good sound out the tailpipe.

How much did your exhaust cost?

Info regarding my exhaust can be found on this page

What is a "cat-back" exhaust?

An exhaust system that replaces everything from the Cateletic Convertor back to thr muffler, generally using a high-flow cat, mandrel bent piping, and a performance muffler.

Should I get a cat-back?

Unless you are doing many other major engine mods, you probably don't need to spend money on a complete cat-back exhaust. A high flow cat, and a performance muffler should be suffice. The mandrel bent piping isn't really necessary, and its larger size will generally shift your torque curve up higher in the RPM band, so you won't have quite as much low end grunt as before. If you must have a mandrel bent pipe, you can order one through Mantapart.com

Can I remove my cat?

If you really want to. No physical harm to your car will result from this, and it won't cause the computer to go wacko, on the 2nd gen J-bodies anyways. On the 3rd gen (95+), there is a pre and post cat O2 sensor, so it knows if the cat is gone. The one thing you will harm though, is the environment;) There is also a quite hefty fine if you are caught without having a cat, and you will definately not past the emissions test, if they are given in your area.

What is cowl induction, and how does it work?

The 2nd gen Z's have cowls on their hoods. These are the 2 raised sections near the windshield. WHen cruising, negative pressure is created at the bottom of the windshield, so the cowls suck in some of this air. The air is then routed through a quite small opening in between the layers of the hood to the airbox. A slight performance gain results from this extra air.

Second gen Z's have cowl induction, so why add a custom cone intake?

The stock cowl induction doesn't really pull in much air in the first place. Any air that is drawn in through the cowls still goes directly to the filter, since the filter is still right below the inlet inside the hood. The air coming in through the cowl also gets heated as it passes over the engine. With the cone filter, cool air that comes in from the front of the car can also get into the engine.

What are some cheap performance mods I can do myself?

Check out the How-To section for some instructions and ideas

How can I put a turbo on my car?

Complete answer coming soon.

What is the difference between the turbo 3.1 and the NA 3.1?

1) This engine was only offered in the 89-90 Pontiac Grand Prix TGP

2) It has a turbo, duh

3) Only internal difference is the Crank. It is hardened, but still cast like the NA 3.1

4) Deck height heigher to reduce compression ratio by .1 from 8.9 to 8.9

5) Bigger Injectors

6) Upper intake (plenum) has hole for IAT, no hole for brake booster, and says "Turbo" on it

7) Rear Manifold is different

How much nitrous can I run on my engine?

This depends greatly on the condition of your engine. A 50 shot is the max that a stock engine in tip-top shape can handle without danger of damage. If your engine is not in the best of shape (ie, burning lots of oil, etc), I wouldn't recommend running nitrous at all. With the proper builup on the engine, you can shoot a 150 shot or more.

Will one of those electric superchargers give me lots of power?

Nope. Please don't waste your money. These things don't flow nearly enough air to create boost and end up just being a restriction in the intake system. They also put quite a bit of strain on your electrical system. So just keep the leaf blower out of your engine bay and save up for some real boost.

Will the E-bay +20hp chip/resistor mods work?

Simply put, no they will not work.

The resistor mods that supposedly "trick" the ECU into thinking that the car is getting colder air than the ambiant air temperature just has the car add more fuel, making the car run rich. This will potentially foul the spark plugs and ruin your oxygen sensor and it will probably throw a check engine light.

Most of the time, if your computer sees that you are running rich, it will immediately lean the mixture, cancelling out the effects of the mod.

My rule of thumb is: "if it looks too good to be true, than it probably is!"

Frequently Asked Questions Home

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.