J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay everyone, I promised an update on my fender rolling project so here goes. There are several good howtos on the 'net and they're not really car-specific. So rather than writing a full howto, I'll just show you some progress pics on my car.

First up, here's a shot of the fender roller mounted on the car. I started with this fender because it was the one that already rubs:

Here's a closeup of the rolling process. As you can see, this fender already shows some damage from a frustrated attempt years ago to bend back the offending fender lip using a hammer. All it accomplished was chipping the paint. (I'm going to have to sand this down and seal it so rust doesn't eat it out.)

This is a shot of the above fender finished. I took before and after measurements which shows that I gained an extra 3/4" clearance at the apex of the fender:

This is a shot contrasting the rolled and non-rolled sections. Again, the damage you see was already there and was NOT caused by the fender roller tool.

The fender roller rental included a heat gun which is used to heat up the paint so it won't crack when the metal bends. I decided to use some heat lamps to "prep" the side I would work on next. It worked very well:

Okay, these next few shots are of the second fender I rolled (rear driver side). One tip: It's a really good idea to clean the area before proceeding to roll it! I used Simple Green to wipe the area clean. Here's a "before" shot:

Another "before" shot showing about how much clearance there is at the apex of the fender:

And here's the "after" shot once the rolling was finished:

And here's the after measurement. As you can see, I gained a little over 1/2" of clearance. I could have kept going but elected to stop at this point:

When I did the front fenders, I found that I was able to roll the fenders out a lot further than I could in the rear. The struts made it difficult to get accurate before/after shots but as you can see from the next photo, the gap between the newly-rolled fender and the slash guard is considerable:

Here's a body shot to show that the lines of the car aren't visibly altered by the rolling process:

The original pictures are much, much higher res. If you want to see the full-res pics, visit the "gallery" here:

Fender Rolling Photo Gallery

I should also note that while using the lamps and heat gun did help, I still experienced paint cracking of various degrees on all four fenders. Part of this is probably due to the fact that I worked quickly when all the instructions say to go slowly and take your time. Also, let's face it, it's a 15-year-old paint job. On the upside, all the spots that developed those hairline cracks were on the inside of the fender and not visible with the tires on. So I will probably be able to sand them out and seal the metal without it being visible.

I haven't received the new rims/tires yet so I don't know if I gained enough clearance to prevent rubbing. They come in tomorrow and I'll update the thread when I get them on.

If you want to use this tool, rent it from the good folks at Induktion Motorsports. It's a 3-day rental for $49.95 plus shipping. If you have any questions, ask for Ed Fuhrman. He's a stand-up guy.

Here are some more resources for those looking into doing this:
A good pictorial tutorial on a Mazda
Another good howto on a Nissan
Good scans from a manual
Good instructions on a Beamer
Good directions in PDF Format

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
xbot said:
Is it just me, or in that last pic.. doesnt it look like it pushed the lip out a bit?
i agree it does look like it pushed the lip out a bit, insed of it being flat...

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yeah looks like you done a killer job on it bro. I never was able to do that but one time we had a Civic come in and he wanted Lambo doors on it and we had to roll in the fenders for the doors to go up properly. It was a really neat process and always wondered the process. Looks like you done it really accurately. Good job on the mod!!!!!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
i've wanted to build one of those for awhile now. no place in manitoba has one so. Looks like the hardest part to find would be the wheel, the rest i could fab up easy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.