J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the fiero exhaust manifolds have the same shape/size ports as the v6 cavalier exhaust manifold ports?

Why I am wondering is because the Fiero Store makes a set of headers for the v6 engine. If the ports are the same, all that would need to be modified is the crossover pipe (in theory)

Any help on this one would be wonderful.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
yes they are the same Port shape. both the 2.8L Iron heads and the 2.8L/3.1L mpfi aluminum heads are a round exhaust port.

BUT. you will need to slightly modify the Bolt holes in the flanges as they are Just a bit off for alignment of the bolt holes, IIRC its very minimal amount that they are off by. just need to elongate the holes off to the side to fit a few bolts in.

those Fiero store headers are the headers that curtis uses on his car.

he did however have to make some bracing for the headers to keep them from cracking due to the turbo's weight hanging off them and the custom crossover pipe.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
hmmmm. how much $$ are these headers?
OVER PRICED!

they're only shorty headers as well... thats quite the coin for a set of shorties.
IIRC when i last checked the price of them 2 years ago they were ? 500 bucks?

the problem with them easye is that they'd only work for running a turbo system. thats of course unless you can custom fabricate exhaust that runs from the front of the engine down underneath the engine then out the back. as the crossover pipe for these joins them in the middle and then exits what would be the "front" of our engines... in the fiero's thats the "back" of hte engine.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
Colin, actually the front of our engine is also the front of the engine in the Fiero, the engine still sits in the same orientation, just that it is behind the passenger compartment. ;)

But yes using those headers on an N/A application will be a troublesome task at best, being that everything is pretty tight in the engine bay now, but could be done after the header modifications are done.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, this is hush hush

For a few weeks now, I have been having meetings with my company and plant executives on the topic of creating headers where I work.

I am a TIG welder for a company that makes ALL of the viper, hummer, ford escape, ford mustang, and neon manifolds and exhaust systems (plus a few others).

We have all the equipment nessacary to create an awesome set of headers for a very reasonal price. All I need is a design, and I was thinking about taking the fiero headers design and just creating a crossover pipe for our v6 engine setups.

It all breaks down to this:

Give me 2 months of designing and testing, and I will have some stainless steel, pressure tested, flatness tested, beautiful headers for sale.

(If everything works out the way it's supposed to :) )

·
Registered
575 Posts
turbobird said:
stu71584 said:
maybe some people should check out jbodyperformance under the exhaust section, and just sit tight for a few more weeks
...you DO know what the estimated cost for those are, right? Man, I can only afford so much...
Maybe thats why I fronted money for the R&D already......they'll be cheaper for everyone else, but at least there'll be a set out there for people to buy soon.......scroll down to the bottom of the exhaust section of www.jbodyperformance.com it says coming soon ;)

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
ya know, i paid like $150 for my shortie headers on the T/A. I understand that SBC parts are mass produced but even when they were first being offered i guarantee that they never were as expencive as $500+. If i were ever to buy headers for my Z i would never pay over $200. but i guess you can get away with that when you controll the 60*V6 market :-?

maybe somebody should contact Holly and see about having them design us a set of Flowtechs. :wink:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've contacted Edlebrock and they told me that our engines weren't worth the time or the effort (in a formal kind of way).

Headers for the small blocks are easier to produce anyways as there is alot more room to work with when the engine is mounted for a RWD setup. Its easier to get equal length and the proper tuning out of them. When you have a V6 that is transversely mounted, things get tricky. Now add a limited amount of space to work with and you've got a nice time consuming project. I bought an eclipse recently and the prices I was quoted for my Z are similar to the prices for my eclipses V6's headers.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I myself am going to find out the dimensional figures on those West Coast Fiero shorty headers. One problem with I have with the Fiero store Headers is the size of the collector flanges, they are like 1 5/8th or something small like that. I really want to redo my headers and crossover so that the crossover is 2" and the collector on those west Coast Fiero's is 2".........

Maybe I will be redoing my pre-turbo exhaust sooner than I thought..... I think I would also go with a full T-4 turbine housing and an external wastegate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.