J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few years ago I sold my 2002 Dakota to my brother with the intention of upgrading to a full size later. Well several years later I finally bought a replacement.

The New Truck:

2006 Silverado 2500HD LT, Has 103,000 on it but almost zero rust

Parts I have already installed:

New Front air deflector
Bed rail caps
Front plate frame my daughter bought for it.

On order and coming this week:

Install parts for radio (Putting Cahill's old Alpine in it)
4 New Polk Audio speakers
Direct fit single 12" Sub box (for a pioneer sub I have)
New Hubcaps
Tonneau Cover

I plan to pull the plastic bedliner out of it at some point and prob do a roll on liner, At some point it will also be getting a plow.

Attachments

· Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well new CENTER caps arrived today. From what I have read I should see about 12mpg, I have yet to put even a hundred miles on this thing since I bought it. It won't be a daily driver so the miles wont go on very fast but I will be tracking it and will post up when I do my next fill up.

· Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cahilj said:
I get about that MPG with mine. Towing or not it's all the same. Yours might be a bit better than mine since it has the six speed trans and I've only got four.
Nope won't be better it's the same 6.0 with the 4 spd and 410 rear. Still haven't gone through the first tank. But I'll post up the first tanks mileage when I do.

On a side note. tonneau is installed, Center caps didn't fit so they got returned. Guess that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks getting aftermarket. Stock GM pieces are now on their way. Stereo is here but is going to wait for the sub box to arrive and I have a couple other wiring projects that it will be easier to just do it all at once. Also the alpine will prob be replaced with the sony deck I just bought and a satellite radio tuner.

Stay tuned for the garage cleanout thread as I pull the car out to redo it in the next week or so. Also work on the z should finally begin again near the end of the summer.

· Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
weston19 said:
Funny, i went from a dakota to a sierra too. Best decision i ever made.
I actually miss the Dakota. Got 16 MPG with that thing and the V8 had no problem pulling anything I needed it to. Just wasn't recommended to put a plow on it and I didn't want to kill the truck with one. Good part is my brother is the one I sold it to so if I wanted it back I know where it is lol.

Anyway small update.

Installed new speakers over the weekend since only one worked :eek: so now I have polks all the way round. I wasn't happy with the adapters chime so I ordered a new one. As soon as it comes in the radio and satellite tuner will be installed. Then I will be starting some of the other electrical additions.

Also Second fill up was this morning and the first tank was 10.4 MPG almost all around town driving.

With Fresh oil last week and a planned tune up this week hopefully it will improve.

· Registered
4,211 Posts
Nice truck...

I recently bought a 1993 Silverado 5.0, my fuel economy is a tad better, 15mpg. A far cry from the 30 my Sunbird was getting.

Not sure how much gas is where any of you are, but here it's 1.35/liter or 5.10/ gallon = about 120 per tank. I drive close to 700 miles a week, yes that does add up real fast....

......sssssssssssooooooooooooooo.....

I had an LPG system installed today... granted it takes about 15% more LPG for the same distance as gas.... but..... the cost for fuel drops by at least 50% (avg 2.45/ gal). Initial outlay is kinda steep... I have no worries, it will pay itself off inside of a year.

It's starts on gas then switches to LPG and I'll be able to switch between gas and LPG (dual fuel). I plan to drive primarily on LPG and use gas only in times of need, gotta get some fuel stabilizer eh.

Just some food for thought aimed at my fellow gas guzzler drivers out there :wink:

· Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok haven't updated this in quite some time. Pic is from November but the plow is installed and I replaced the factory wheels.

Put a new Sony deck in instead of the alpine. Still need to install the amp and sub i picked up.

I also bought a receiver winch for it. Need to build a custom front hitch to connect to the push plates. I have an extra head gear to get started on it but still have to find a hitch to cut up or go get some 2x2 square.

Truck is slowly coming together. seems the plans as usual build faster than the time to do it.

On a side note My brother traded in my old Dakota. I was pissed when he took $1700 for it with barely 100,000 on it. That thing was worth $5k easy

Attachments

· Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well haven't updated this in a while so figured I might as well now that the truck has gone back under the knife. Had a panic stop the other day and blew one of the brake lines. Thanks to GM for using mild steel. I have also been stockpiling parts with the intent to pull it apart next month anyway.

Parts list:
<LIST>

• All stainless steel brake lines from Classic Tube
    Curt Class 5 hitch (overkill but got a good deal and the stock one has a torn safety chain hole)
    New hitch plug that includes a 4 way flat so I don't need to carry an adapter
    New Hitch Cover.
    Feniex Cannon LED strobes.
    New front bumper
    Dynomax Dual exhaust
</LIST>

Going to take a few weeks to get everything done. I'm also coating the rear frame with por15 as well as the inner wheel wells.

Started today with building a dolly for the bed and pulling the bed off.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.