J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys/girls if your hood lines up straight & has never been removed * it is KEY & IMPORTANT that you take a marker & trace the outline of the support arm while the hood is raised before you loosen any bolts! i cant STRESS how important this is before the modification. this is the reason it has taken me soo long to get the written up, b/c i didnt do this the first time & my hood WOULDNT close.

hood support arm

MODIFIED hinge over laying support arm

screws in the hinge

underneath view of hinge screwed in (right side)

underneath view of hinge screwed in (left side)

notch on the hood

again notch

but DONT GO TOO DEEP

b/c the metal bracket below holds the support screws? ONLY GO THE DEEPTH OF THE FIBERGLASS!

primered hinges

ha blurry picutre of primered hinges screwed into support arm

support screws in support arm

screws in hinge against the hood LEAVE SUPPORT SCREWS IN SUPPORT ARM

frontal view

back side of support arm w/ the hood flipped

front side of support arm w/ hood flipped

drivers side hood up looking thru the engine to passenger side

from filler piece looking at the stress inflicted on passenger hinge

'nother bueaty shot (left side)

'nother bueaty shot (right side)

and Noahs Ark:
[/list]

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
Are you going to mention anything about the fact that is for a car that is never driven on the street? Or make some provisions for actually bolting the hood on properly and tightly, since there is a safety factor here?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
i don't get it? whats the apeal of having your hood look like it's all jacked up? to each their own i guess.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
easye said:
i don't get it? whats the apeal of having your hood look like it's all jacked up? to each their own i guess.
I know, I don't understand it either, to me that looks like something broke. :-?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the_raven said:
Are you going to mention anything about the fact that is for a car that is never driven on the street? Or make some provisions for actually bolting the hood on properly and tightly, since there is a safety factor here?
mine is a daily driver, my hood opens & shuts lake a normal hood. once i hit around 85mph wind starts to bother it, but i drive around town w/o any of my bolts in, that way all i have to do is pop the hood & press in the center. but for those who are going to try it; for ravens sake fasten your hood back down.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
brooksoffroadz24 said:
the_raven said:
mine is a daily driver, my hood opens & shuts lake a normal hood. once i hit around 85mph wind starts to bother it, but i drive around town w/o any of my bolts in, that way all i have to do is pop the hood & press in the center. but for those who are going to try it; for ravens sake fasten your hood back down.
It's not for my sake, but for the safety of anyone doing this "mod".
Do you know why there are 4 bolts holding the hood to the hinges? It has very little to do with attaching the hood to the hinges, it has everything to do with safety.

Here's the scenario.....

You get in a front end collision with something, could be another car, could be a brick wall, could be a deer, in an accident, the impact has to be absorbed in some way, an auto manufacturers, especiall GM, have may "weak points" in the hood, so that it will buckle in these types of impacts, If there were only 2 bolts or a hinge holding the hood to the OEM hood hinge, well those are both pivot points, and instead of the hood buckling at the predetermined "weak points", the back of the hood will come up over the the hinges and with an impact great enough, usually in the 20 to 25 MPH range, the hood will instead come through the windsheild and most likely decapitate you and any front seat passenger, maybe even rear seat passengers. It has happened, hence the reason of the weak points in the hood, usually about mid point in the hood fore to aft, and multiple bolts holding the hood to the hinge.

See my point now?

Same thing could happen with the "flip flop trunk", if you get rear ended.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
the_raven said:
brooksoffroadz24 said:
the_raven said:
It's not for my sake, but for the safety of anyone doing this "mod".
Do you know why there are 4 bolts holding the hood to the hinges? It has very little to do with attaching the hood to the hinges, it has everything to do with safety.

Here's the scenario.....

You get in a front end collision with something, could be another car, could be a brick wall, could be a deer, in an accident, the impact has to be absorbed in some way, an auto manufacturers, especiall GM, have may "weak points" in the hood, so that it will buckle in these types of impacts, If there were only 2 bolts or a hinge holding the hood to the OEM hood hinge, well those are both pivot points, and instead of the hood buckling at the predetermined "weak points", the back of the hood will come up over the the hinges and with an impact great enough, usually in the 20 to 25 MPH range, the hood will instead come through the windsheild and most likely decapitate you and any front seat passenger, maybe even rear seat passengers. It has happened, hence the reason of the weak points in the hood, usually about mid point in the hood fore to aft, and multiple bolts holding the hood to the hinge.

See my point now?

Same thing could happen with the "flip flop trunk", if you get rear ended.
:eek: holy crap that would suck. well there goes my idea to have my hood held on by 4 hoodpins.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
yeah, maybe its just me but i would prefer to keep my head where it is thanks ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.