J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TOday I had my first dragrace with my Z24, which is also my first car (im 16) and YES I payed for it (not my parents, like some people I know )
Since I have only been driving it for 2 weeks and its a Standart, which I havent used before, I wanted to take it easy on my "baby"

So at lunchbreak we went to the nearest highway.
We had a 3 way race, One 1998 F150 auto 2x4.
1979 Chevy Sierra 2x4 with a 350 V8 and 4 spd, and of course my 92 Z24.
I hadnt raced before so I didnt know how fast it is but Man does that think move.
Right off the start I had the V8, then 3 seconds later the F150 too.
I dont really know if what I was racing is suppose to be fast, but I wasnt sure if I was gonna win, but after today, im completely in love my my Z24:)
Whats the point of having a 5L mustang anyways, cause where I live, no-one is even gonna try to take on something that big.

Anyways, just wanted to share my First dragracing/victory with you all.

-John

(PS: Now everyone wants to get a Z24, cause of their good performance/MPG ratio )

[ This Message was edited by: johnyg on 2001-10-23 22:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: johnyg on 2001-10-23 22:46 ]

·
Registered
118 Posts
Congratulations on the pickup truck slaughter

Why anyone tries to race trucks is beyond me.
The only thing I've raced was some stranger in a brand spankin' new Jetta (VR6, I think). It was a pretty pathetic race - no engine revving or anything. We were just pretty close off the red light, so I gunned it and so did he. I was about 1 or 2 car lengths ahead when I decided to drop back, at which point this guy blows past me and cuts into my lane.

oh and btw... 5.0's aren't that fast.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It all depends on what kind of trucks you race.
Try taking on a Ford Lightning, which has a 360 V8 (but then again so does my dads truck) and a Turbocharger, brings in about 360 hp. 0-60 times of about 5.5 sec. Also, the new chevy 350's V8 are pretty quick too, a guy in my class has one, and he said he beat a 98 mustang with it and a 2000 Z24. Guess I'll have to take him on one of these days

-John

·
Registered
246 Posts
well congrads i just want to make a coment 5.0's arnt as fast as you think BUT they are easly moded and they will still beat a z24(well depends but if you race to higher speeds)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Lol @ 5.0's not being fast...my brother's 5.0 runs high 13's...I think he'd disagree. It's heavily modded though (but no NoS, turbo, or supercharger)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL, have u ever checked fuel economy for a 5L??
If you gotta spend that much on gas to keep it running, it damn well better be fast.
Its not hard to put a big engine into a car and brag about how fast it is. Now trying to make a car that is good on gas and still has a 0-60 time of less than 6 second, now I would like to see that (without Nitrous Oxide)
Remember, most people, like me, dont buy Z24's to go around winning dragraces, sure their quick, but not really fast. If I wanna go fast, Ill buy a Camaro or something like that. Oh by the way, Mustangs are WOMANS's cars, even Ford admits that it is now targeting Women buyers. Most Guys drive Trans Am's or Camaros.
(Why the heck did ford even consider putting a 4 cyl. in a mustang????)

- John

·
Registered
527 Posts
from 79'-93 Henry Ford III made mustangs look and perform bad on purpose because after he fired Iacoca(the creator of the mustang I'm not sure how to spell it) Ford made the mustang bad to piss him off. Ford died in 93' and as we all know the mustang made a huge change after that. As for mustangs beening a women's car I'm sure the LX 6cyl's are targeted to women(it's a cheap sports car exactly what women want) but I don't believe I have seen very many women driving a cobra or a saleen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where im from the bad-ass racer around has a silver 98 mustang 5.0 and he has put 13 g's into mods. he has nos and everything. and my brother bought a 89 vette bone stock a few months ago and killed the stang. my brothers girlfriend has a 00 cobra 5.0 and i raced her in my z24. i beat her but then my brother drove it and beat me(she cant drive a stick that good) lol anyway. i love racing. can a 90 z24 2.8 take a 93 z34 3.4? some guy wants to race me and i need to know if i need to boost it before or not. well im out.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was considering buying a Z34 at first, because they have a DOHC V6 with 201hp/210 pounds of torqe. YOu would get killed. THey got 0-60 time of about 7.5sec, compared to 3.1L Z24 which takes about 8.3sec, and only has 140hp. I didnt buy one cause they are expensive to keep running.

-John

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Not to mention ugly, a Z24 looks WAY better than a Z34. A Z34 is oversived, overweight...sure might have more power but it's a damn boat! Plus I've heard of people having BIG trouble with the 3.4 L DOHC.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True Gunman, but we were talking about performance, not good looks. Its true, the 3.4L DOHC is has major problems, but if you can afford to do the expensive mainenances, its an awesome engine. After driving one with a rare 5spd. the Z24 seemed slow.

-John

·
Registered
202 Posts
the maintenence on those z34 is outragous. ever tryed to replace the alt.?????

i've learned the best way to do it, is to rebuild the alt. in the car. thats right dont even take it out (takes 8 hours to R+R the alt. STUPID!!!!

ohh well i think the cav looks better anyway.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Congratulations johny on the win.
Now take it to the track (if possible) and see what the z will really do, you may be surprised.
On the trucks, theyre easy and most gm v8 standard trucks will run mid 16's for the most part.
One thing the track has that street racing doesnt is a time slip. Time slips are bragging rights when racing.
I know your still 16, but practice your shifting and takeoff at the line. You can do this by practicing to the speed limit without getting in trouble with the law. Races are won in the first 60 feet of the race, if you have lots of wheel spin, your 60 foot mark will show it and your e/t.
Sorry for the long post, but going to the track will be much better in the long run and youll have that all important time slip.
Have fun and later.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone know a Track where I can see my 0-60 around my area, which is South Central Manitoba

Thanks;
John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts