J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how to make flames shoot out of thier exhaust pipe? I dont think i'm actually going to do this, I was just wondering how it is done.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Heh, fun stuff. You have to fabricate (or buy, if you can FIND one) a spark plug wire long enough to reach your tailpipe. Drill a hole in your pipe after the muffler wide enough to fit a spark plug, fit a grommet in, and put in the plug. To remove all doubt: yes, you are temporarily sacrificing a cylinder to do this. Now, you need to be burning a rich mixture in order to do this. There's all sorts of fun ways you can do this. I'd use a ratty piece of pipe after the muffler that you don't really care about, because if you want to pass emissions, you'll have to put in a good pipe. That, and they might look at you funny.

This trick's also fun on old cars that used metal thread for stitching - hook the plug up to the thread and put it on a toggle switch. See how many friends you keep by doing this! =] Just don't do it on a front bench seat, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for being stupid , but I don't fully understand. Do the exhaust gases ignite the spark?
Could I somehow make a toggle switch back and forth between the sillender and my magical exhaust?
Thanx for the help

·
Registered
221 Posts
If everything goes as planned, the spark plug will ignite your exhaust if it's burning rich enough. There's no way to make a toggle, since it's near impossible to splice two plugs onto one coil terminal - to switch between them, you'd have to disconnect one from the coil and reconnect the other.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good luck on this, I'd like to see some pictures of this. If you need any other ideas, I'm sure to think them up. My family's insane, and has probably done most anything at one point or another, so I can just ask them.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Somebody see The Fast and the Furios one too many times?
Definately not practical, but it would sure be cool to see! I am sure there would be some way to get the plug to fire by using a secondary power supply, and not having to run it straight from the coils. Not sure though...

·
Registered
221 Posts
As I said, I speak from family experience. I'm just saying how they did it. I'm sure you could, but it's just too much of a hassle.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Quick question, does doing this make the engine louder? I had a sparkplug strip and fall out. It was extreamly LOUD! i was wondering if this would do the same, or if since the old plug is still in there would it still be normal?

·
Registered
221 Posts
It wouldn't make it any louder. When my water pump had died, the overheating was so bad it melted clear through one of my plug wires, and it sounded the same (except that I could hear and see the spark at the bare end of the wire, which wouldn't happen with this setup).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was just thinking, if you want to do this in a more permanent way, you could use a 12-volt Neon light transformer, and have a switch on your dash to turn it on. (unless the engine has to be modified to use more fuel, I'm not sure about that) The transformers weren't designed to run a spark plug, so you could really shorten it's life, maybe even to a few seconds. I can't say for sure. I found a 12-volt ignition coil with built-in vibrator (from a WW2 fighter plane), so I might try doing this once I get my car back and have some extra time. As long as there's no danger of my car exploding from the flames, anyway.

[ This Message was edited by: brantk on 2001-09-18 13:52 ]

·
Registered
69 Posts
You don't have to use a spark plug, but I can't think of any way to do it 'not electrically'. You could just use a peice of wire and tape it to the end of the exhaust pipe in a way that it makes a spark there. Other than that, I think the only way to do it would be with a pilot light of some kind, and that would just be dangerous. Racecar exhaust pipes can get red hot after a while, that's probably how they ignite.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm not sure about the spark plug thing on the car. I've heard of people doing it and i know some kids who did it to a mo-ped, but do you really wanna take a chance doing that to your beloved Z? anywho, try pricing out a fire kit, they are illegal but I'm sure you can find some place that will hook you up. And it'll all be done right, look nice and all that fancy jazz, I suggest if you do try this out that you make a toggle switch to disconnect spark plug when you just driving around, cops will get you really quickly.

peace

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
My teacher in vocational school showed us how to do this,(he was an old school rodder). You get a 12v coil at the junkyard, hook it up to a toggle switch, and run the wires from the swith to the spark plug in the tail pipe. I don't know if it would work with a car without a carb, because you can't really adjust your fuel mixture. For it to work, you gotta run you car kinda rich. It might also get messy with those plastic bumpers, they might melt. P.S anyone seen a fire burnout? it's awesome.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i seen a car with the flames....freaked me out at first...but then i loved it...friggen awesome!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not to sound like i know it all, but the spark plug thing is right yet it's impossible to get sparks coming out with just a powerful spark in the pipe. If you were running THAT rich, the car probably wouldn't run... I'm just thinking rationally here, although I could be wrong. I remember asking my auto teacher in high school how to do this and he said they run a smaaall line from a tank, i think he said propane but don't quote me on that one, and spray it in and you manually turn on the spark plug somehow. It was way out of my league and over my head so i blocked out most of what he said. Sorry, but i don't htink just the plug will do it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You could put mothballs in your tank, but you would end up blowing your motor, in about a minute....trust me.

But how bout this idea, I thought about doing this in my talon but...naw.
What about using something like a wiper fluid nozzle mounted on the opposite side of the pipe as the plug or other igniter but facing the end of the pipe (duh, direction of flames) You can get a wiper tank with a pump from any car, that you would put on a toggle switch. then again a wiper nozzle might melt under normal driving conditions. Anyways instead of sacrificing a terminal off your ignition and a cylinder you might be able to use one of those electric igniters from an RV propane stove (12V) Otherwise the extra coil thing sounds good as well.
I would think a wiper nozzle would give good enough presure to make a NICE sized flame, just dont blow up the car behind you.

Or you could just use the link and buy the RIGHT stuf to do it.
http://www.hotrodsetc.net/efi%20flame%20thrower.html

[ This Message was edited by: 1phatcav on 2001-12-14 05:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 1phatcav on 2001-12-16 02:56 ]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts