J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well like brooks said it doesn't do a flop mod, but i didn't like the looks of that. And i made this for some other people so i thought i would post it.

Parts:
1. 2 x T-hinges
2. 2 x Shelf brackets (metal)
3. Drill
4. Grinder

1. Remove the factory screws and place the lid down on the window or where ever you want.

2. Take the T hinges and place the on the trunk bracket, mark with a pencil or pen where the bottom hole from the factory screw and mark where u need to drill.

3. Drill another hole between the 2 factory screw holes to make a hole for the screw that will hold the hinge to the bracket. And you will probably have to counter sink the hole so that the screw goes flat into the hinge.

4. Drill another hole in the hinge where the top factory screw was located at in the hinge. This hole will also hold the hinge and the shelf bracket in place. And place a bolt in the Bottom hole that u just made to make sure the hinge will not move when placing the lid back on.

5. Once the hinge is securely fastened on to the bracket, but the lid back on and place the 4 factory screws back in. Then drill or use self drilling screwing to mount the top of the T hinge into the lid.

6. After the lid is fastened to the hinge remove the factory screws and place the two remaining bolts in the the top hole that you drilled that will be at the top factory screw location. Then take the shelf brackets and place them over the bolt. (if you have shelf brackets with drill holes in the side, the hole should be big enough to slide it on the bolt and big enough to allow you to use the nut to fasten it on.)

7. You may have to grind down the corners to be able to fit into the trunk bracket, and the inside corner of the shelf bracket will have to be grinded down to allow the hinge to move.

8. Place the shelf bracket back onto the top bolt, and bolt it down with the nut. After that, the lid will not have to have a wooden brace behind it to hold it level. The lid will fold down on the shelf bracket and hold it in place.

Note: (to be able to close the trunk put the bottom factory screws in and it will shut normally and not leak any. And you may have to put adjustment screws in the top of the shelf bracket because the lid may set slightly offset. And the screws will allow you to make it level, or just put a piece of rubber on top of the shelf bracket and that will fine also.)

If you need any pictures or questions plz email me at [email protected].

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
it is a little more difficult on 3rd gens, the trunk arms are inside the lid. But I figured out how to do it and it looks good. Mine sits up straight, not lop sided like others. BTW no props either.

It stays like that on its own.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya thats how mine sits also. Bumpin tells me you have a pretty nice set up for that, just have couple pins in there and when u pull them out if folds down. Feel free to make or add some changes to the how to if you want guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.