J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to check my tranny fluid on Saturday after my little problem with the cooling system. I noticed that the fliud was varnished (changing color :cry: ) and that the fluid was very foamy ( almost like a soda! :cry: ). What the hell does that mean? I dont think its a good sign.

·
Premium Member
17,284 Posts
If your transmission fluid is foamy it means that you had too much fluid in your transmission, causing the moving parts of the transmission to get air trapped in the fluid.

If the fluid smells burnt you have a problem with the transmission being too hot and the tranny cooling system needs to be checked.

Brad

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Brad91Z said:
If your transmission fluid is foamy it means that you had too much fluid in your transmission, causing the moving parts of the transmission to get air trapped in the fluid.

If the fluid smells burnt you have a problem with the transmission being too hot and the tranny cooling system needs to be checked.

Brad
I heard the opposite, that your trnany fluid is a little low, allowing air to get trapped.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Brad91Z is right, transmission fluid that is FOAMY is almost always caused by an overfilled tranny.

Overfilling a transmission is FAR worse than slightly underfilling!

I've searched this topic to death, so I'm fairly confident in what I say!:)

Overfilling causes fluid to trap "air", causing a loss of fluid pressure, causing the fluid temp to rise to abnormal temps, which in turn causes overheating, slipping, etc...etc...

Check the fluid COLD, and see where it's at. It's always good to compare the COLD to the HOT readings with regards to trans fluid...

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well not to start anything I checked the fluid when it was hot like the dipstick and service manual said the fluid was low. When I checked it while the engine was cold the fluid was fine. Im gonna add some more fluid to it tommorow.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I will let everyone know. The good thing is the tranny fluid isnt foamy anymore just low. I think it has something to do with the cooling system problem I have. I am gonna get a new radiator in the winter and install it. I think it may have been coolant or something . I dont know.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
drill a hole in the pan. :lol:

j/k...really the only way is to either remove the pan, siphon it out of the dipstick tube, or disconnecting the cooling lines from the rad and trying to drain a little out of there...

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I misread the tranny fluid . It is low even when its cold. I added 8 ounces of tranny fluid for the time being. I notice a difference in the way the car drives. Tommorow I will check the tranny fluid when its hot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.