J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya everyone

I was driving down the street the other day and I heard a rubbing noise coming from my front left wheel. When I sped up the noise also sped up so obviously something is rubbing on the rotor.
I take the wheel off and inspect the pads. The outside pad looks more worn out than the inside. Also the outside of the rotor is nice and smooth where the pad is touching it while the inside of the rotor is rough and a bit rusted.
It looks like the inside pad is not pressing on the rotor as much as the outside pad.

A friend said to drive the shit out of the car and slam on the brakes in case something is rusted and stuck. Any idea?
Is there a way to unstuck the inside pad?

Many thanks

D#

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
mine and the gf's has the same thing. the inside pad's usualy dont touch the rotor unless your really hittin the breaks hard. try hittin the brakes pretty hard at about 60, that cleaned mine up pretty good on the inside.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
1fastcavi said:
mine and the gf's has the same thing. the inside pad's usualy dont touch the rotor unless your really hittin the breaks hard. try hittin the brakes pretty hard at about 60, that cleaned mine up pretty good on the inside.
ummmm WHAT? something else is wrong. the inside pad should always be touching first. Basic brakes. caliper piston pushes on the inside pad which in turn pulls the caliper on the sliders and applies the outside pad. i would say somethings wrong with the caliper itself. Maybe the piston is frozen so the caliper isn't actaully working? as far as the outsidepad being worn frozen or sticky sliders will cause this as the pad never actually releases.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
your caliper slides are seized most likely, i just did this on my winter beater, new slider bushings, slide pins, pads and rotors were like $110, you just have to make sure all the corrosion is out of there before you put the new slider bushing in and use some slide pin lube before you put the bushing in, i used a dremel with a sanding disc and stuffed it in there and ground out all the rust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.