J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for installing an addco front sway bar. I'm actualyl doing the install on an 88 N Body, but from whatI've been told its the same setup. at a quick glance it seems I may have to drop the front subframe in order to slide the OEM bar out. Is this correct? If So..thats probably going to suck!

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have some worthwhile info

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
slammedam said:
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for installing an addco front sway bar. I'm actualyl doing the install on an 88 N Body, but from whatI've been told its the same setup. at a quick glance it seems I may have to drop the front subframe in order to slide the OEM bar out. Is this correct? If So..thats probably going to suck!

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have some worthwhile info
loosen all the subframe bolts. and then just take out the rears. you'll have enought room to take the swaybar out like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
by loosening the subframe bolts, will that affect any of the alignment? Also will I have to support anything such as the motor or trans?

I should have figured this was going to be a bigger project then I expected.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
no it wont hurt the alignment and no the motor / tranny wont fall out.
you need to take the rear bolts out.. loosen/remove the middle bolts, and just loosen the front bolts a little.. this will be enough to drop the subframe 5-6inches .. enough to get the bar out and the new one in.
good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the infoit definately made sense once I crawled back under after sleep haha!

I got the old bar out, and the new bar in place, but I had to modify the sway bar brackets that came with the addco bar in order to make it all come together The OEM brackets were a U bolt and the mounting wasn't able to be used with the new backets. I got everything back together, but I'm not happy with the install...although it did seem to make a difference in cornering.

I got the tech support Number so I'll be giving them a call to hopefully get the correct brackets.

1800 338 7015 Addco Tech support

·
Registered
258 Posts
You're not going to notice a significant difference from just installing a front sway bar. Install a new rear sway bar, some new shocks/struts and springs, and some polyurethane bushings for maximum corner carving.

Oh, and if you don't have them already, front and rear strut bars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
joelallenclear said:
You're not going to notice a significant difference from just installing a front sway bar. Install a new rear sway bar, some new shocks/struts and springs, and some polyurethane bushings for maximum corner carving.

Oh, and if you don't have them already, front and rear strut bars.
I definately agree, but I'm lowered on eibach pro kit springs and KYB GR2's, also Installed the addco rear sway bar a few years back. I had a mantapart/OEM J body front STB but about a year ago, went with an MRZ Front STB. Also a Mantapart/j Body lower strut tower brace.

Right now I'm still waiting on installing new ES control arm bushings:)

Big Brakes and rear discs are next :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
one dont use the front addaco bar they are thinner then the stock z24 2 yes taking the subframe out will mess up the aligment trust me ive had mine out about 7 times in the past 3 mounths my stererign wheel keeps moving

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.