J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GO TO PAGE 2 FOR MORE INFO.....

The time has come to sell my 92 Z.. First and foremost this is a PARTS CAR. This car looks very nice from the outside but is rotted out and in the near future will probably be unsafe to drive..

The good...

I had 4 Goodyear Eagle GT tires installed with an alignment (like it matters) less than a year ago.. Ive put MAYBE 7000 miles on them.

The car has 135,000 miles on it and its a 3.1. Motor runs great for any of you that just want a decent 3.1. As far as I know the only two spots where oil leaks from is the distribtor o-ring and the crank seal. In 3000 miles I put half a quart to a quart of oil in. I bought the car with 92,000 miles and used mobil 1 regularly,

Hood.. fenders.. bumpers.. headlights.. taillights.. ect etc.. all can be swapped over to another car.

Around 100,000 miles I put plugs, wires (Magnactor 8 mm), coilpacks (Accel...never had a problem with them despite the bad stuff people say about them), ICM (from GM) all in one shot. The only thing I left was the crank sensor. I still have a new one (from GM).. never installed it though.

Interior is decent.. as far as seats go..

The bad.. (and boy is there a lot)

Trans wont go into reverse without turning the car off.. (Im pretty postive the syncro is bad). Obviously the trans would have to come out and be rebuilt..

Headliner is falling down...

The steering column is loose. I jamed a bunch of pencils where the column is to take up the slack. GHETTO I KNOW.. but its just not worth the money to fix it. On a side note...The car handles nicely.. I put KYB GR-2's with new springs (non-lowering) and new strut tops (from GM) in the car when I got it. I also changed the ball joints (aftermarket) and outter tie rod ends (aftermarket) with new adjuster sleeves (GM) for easier alignment purposes.

The car is rotted out badly.. I wouldnt consider this a fixer-upper I consider this a "parter-outter." The driver side door was hit BEFORE I bought the car... the car was repaired but poorly. The door it self closes fine but Im sure what got in where the upper hinge is and rotted right through and then rotted the floor out (I can see through the floor in small places).

The cowl leaks.. again didnt wanna fix it.. I discovered this when I put new shifter cables in about 4 months ago. (Bought the cables from GM).
As some of you may know you basically have to pull the carpet out out of the car to put the cables in. Once I had the seats out I realized that the carpet was soaked. I pulled the carpet outta the car AND put the interior back in MINUS the carpet. I still have the carpet.. its in decent condition.. just didnt wanna put it back in.. (again.. wasnt worth it) When I put the shifter cables in I pulled out the HVAC used.. I snapped the tab of on the HVAC unit where the blend door cable was so when i drive down the road I have MANUALLY move the blend door myself.. sux but I dealt with it.. New HVAC unit from GM was a least $100 (my cost). I said screw that..

Hood cable broke.. I got it ghetto rigged..

Some trim pieces are ok.. some arent..

Recently the right rear shock tower rotted out. I had my neigbor weld a patch panel in but the insulation caught on fire and melted one of the interior panels.

The exhaust is in ok shape.. Its starting to get noticably lower.. I think the muffler is on its way out..

In short I did my best to "hump" this car along because I didnt want to buy another car. The rust was the biggest reason I didnt keep up on this car.. This was my second cavalier.. my first was a 89Z auto.. I had the car for about 7 years.. this one I had for about 3 or 4. Hopefully I will be picking up a 89Z 5 speed in the near future. The only thing I want from this car is spolier as of 9/22/07. I DO NOT WANT TO PART THIS CAR OUT UNLESS I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO! Im looking for $550 or best offer. Some of you may say thats high but its what I want.. might not GET 550 but thats what I'd like.

I have sold parts to decyphex, pyschographic and krazybaddude (no longer posts here). I would like to think that they will vouch for me that I am honest and straight foward. This car runs and drives under its own power. You could pick this car up and drive it home BUT not for much longer.. As you can tell its falling apart. As of 9/22/07 I am unemployed (got fired from my dealership because I took a job from a competing dealer..more money for me :) ) I will be going to my new job as of Oct. 1. I will be willing to drive this car to any ones house of resisdence provided it not super far... 200-300 miles away is the most I'll go. If I did that I need to be compensated for the gas/tolls/busfair and Id need a ride to the nearest greyhound bus depot..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry.. I wont part out the car unless I ABSOULTY HAVE TO OR you're willing to give me $550 for the trans PLUS whatever it costs to ship to you (which would be a lot). Im not trying to sound like an asshole.. Im just trying to get some money back on what I paid for car..

On a side note if you guys need pics of anything Id be more than willing to send them you...

I decided I didnt want the spolier from my 92Z.. it wont look right on my 89Z (wrong shade of blue). So IF and when this car ever sells the spolier will come with the car..

Dan

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Dan, I hate rust, it's a losing battle on these cars. Good luck with your 89 and hopefully you're buying it from California. LOL

-Al.

·
Registered
214 Posts
ok, if you do decide to part it out, please let me know. i have a 91z thats the same color that needs your trunk with the spoiler, and maybe a few other things too, lemie know if you do decide to part it out. thanks

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
amancuso said:
Dan, I hate rust, it's a losing battle on these cars. Good luck with your 89 and hopefully you're buying it from California. LOL

-Al.
Thanks Al.. the 89 came from PA (Rustville lol). Its not the prettiest car in the world.. but the price was right. Its got some rust spots on the right rear quarter (don't know how that happened) but other than that its in pretty good shape for 130,000. I figure if I get a year or two out of it without putting money into it I got a decent deal.

Dan

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
v6z24e said:
ok, if you do decide to part it out, please let me know. i have a 91z thats the same color that needs your trunk with the spoiler, and maybe a few other things too, lemie know if you do decide to part it out. thanks
Hopefully it won't come down to that BUT if it does I'll drop you a PM.

Dan

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'll definitely vouch for Dan! Very trustworthy and honest, a great guy to deal with. :)

Good luck with the sale Dan, hopefully you can sell the whole car, but if not, we'll talk about those few trans related pieces.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
DONT BUY ANTTHING FROM THIS GUY! He says they are cavalier parts, but you'll end up getting rusted old MG and Yugo parts!

LOL ... J/K

Dan sold me the front end from his old 89Z, and the parts are still in action today! ... But my 91Z might be getting sold come springtime, not sure yet, havent driven it in a while, its been up at my buddys trans shop on the back burner for a year.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
amancuso said:
cahilj said:
Can I get some pics of the inner rear fender repair, the engine, and the bad floor sections?
Jamie, that car is REALLY rusty :(
come on dude... don't ruin my sale.. I REALLY NEED money.. =)

cahilj~ I'll send you pics.. Al is right though.. its got some real bad spots. If you walked around it... it looks great but if you look in the right rear wheel wheel.. the driver side upper hindge the floor.. The bottoms of the doors has the usual rust.. some ruff spots on the doors.. ect ect... you see how bad it is... Hence why I consider it a parts car.

Im trying to be as honest as possible.. I'd hate to have someone drive an hour or two to see this car and have them think that Im downplaying the car's condition.

Dan

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
metalhead212121 said:
cahilj~ Can you give me your personal email address? I dont know how to post more than one image at a time.. (here on v6) I tried sending them to your miliary email address but it didnt work..

Dan
hit the add attachment button instead of submit post.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nova_z said:
interested in the car how is the body kit and the interior would like some pics cause im only about 45 to an hr from you
The body kit is in decent shape.. some nicks here and there.. The interior is decent as well.. Different interior panels are MIA because they were either broken when I got the car or broke when I had to put the shifter cables in.... I'll see what pics I have saved on my computer and try to send them to you..

I uploaded a pic so you guys get an idea of what the inside looks like..

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to apologize to the mods and moon.. Im having problems uploading multiple images due to the fact Im on a shitty computer.. My comp is having problems uploading 1 pic....

heres a pic of the driver side floor.. I circled where the holes are..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.