J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 90 z24 3.1, runs like shit constant miss on any rpm. has no power or pick up. the cat converter gets soo hot after 6 miles its bright red. i dont think im getting fuel to the intake. i think some injectors are bad. they arent clogged cayse the last 3 tanks of gas i have had the cleaner in it. plugs are new. wires are on the way. inigition seems fine to me and the mechanic said it might be injectors but it would cost a lot of $$$. Has anyone replaced them before on this engine? i knowyou have to take off the plenum and all that shit to get at them but the other than that it should be relativly easy. chiltons says i need a tech 1 scan tool? why? and do i really need it? or would the idle relearn procedure do the same thing? thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: If your cat is getting bright red you have a blockage in the exhaust system, the exhaust gasses arent escaping wich could be the cause of all your problems!!!! replace the cat!!!

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
yes replace the cat or get rid of it or sumthin, mine got blocked and barely any exahust came out the tailpipe and the gas mileage was crap and had no power. but i couldn;t afford to buy a new cat so i just got it cut out and had a pipe put it, power and gas mileage are back 8) if it continues to be like that after u do that, then there is sumthin wrong lol

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ive repalce lots of them, but I think you have a bad coil pack which is not firing all the plugs. The injectors are obviously pumping gas into the cylinders but its being burned in the converter instead of the cylinders.

About the only way for you to test the injectors is to check the electrical resistance. Each injector should be about 12 ohms. If any are less than 10 ohms they should be replaced. Its best to check them when the engine is warmed up. You can do a search for "Steady miss at Idle" for more test info.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.