J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I blew the gears, I heard no grinding. But the linkages seem to be moving. Any ideas?

Story: Driving down the freeway just about to shift to 5th going about 90km (~60mph) and it felt like I was down shifting instead. So I through it into neutral and tried again.. rpm jumped to like 5 grand. So I drove it home in 4th. Stop at light, try to put it into reverse and I go forward. In 1st and 3rd I can throw the shifter side to side as if I was in neutral.

That sounds like a shifter linkage doesn't it? I mean what could break inside the trans to do that? It doesn't make sense.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
zepplica said:
it is the shift linkage. its the cable that moves when you move the shifter side to side. mine just came out of the casing and i did some things and fixed it
QFT!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, thats exactly what it was. The entire cable didn't snap.. the outer casing came away from where it should be crimped. Made it feel like it was just out of adjustment. Now I just have to look for a new one.. hmm.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone know where you can get these cables? They are discontinued from GM and I cant find a 3rd party vendor that lists them other than Dorman. Pioneer doesnt even have a number. I know there is always the wreckers, but I'd rather get a new one.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanks, I also found Napa as a source.. not sure of the brand.

Shift lever (forward and back) BK 6202183 $55.99 (51.125 inches long)

Shift selector (side to side) BK 6202182 $44.99 (50.875 inches long)

The shift lever comes with the rubber grommet that fits in the firewall, and is also the longer of the two.

Just in case anyone else is looking.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
Nocash said:
Cool thanks, I also found Napa as a source.. not sure of the brand.

Shift lever (forward and back) BK 6202183 $55.99 (51.125 inches long)

Shift selector (side to side) BK 6202182 $44.99 (50.875 inches long)

The shift lever comes with the rubber grommet that fits in the firewall, and is also the longer of the two.

Just in case anyone else is looking.
cool i tried looking at napa online but didnt have any luck.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
Back when I did my swap, GM was the only supplier of these cables, and they were $180 CDN each. :eek:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
34blazer said:
motormite makes those cables. i had mine break on my getrag 4spd and thats the only company i could find that still made them. my other option was to have one custom made :-?
Motormite = Dorman = "Help"

Being in parts sales for 3 years now, you see a lot of this. Most companies just buy rights to a product so they can name it, they don't even manufacture it :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.