J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
my buddy is selling a car, its a 1988 Camaro, 5L, 5 speed, T Tops, its in kind of rough shape exterior wise but engine and interior are so nice. $4000, what do you guys think? Should I pounce?

G

·
Yea man, haggle or look else where. Its like the guy trying get $6650 or something like that for that bimmer w/ 113k miles on it w/ no a/c or radio on here. Come on people!

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
I paid a grand and an 89 Z for my 82 T/A, mint, no rust 60k origional miles. 4 g's is way too much. hell we even paid 5500 for my ex's 91 RS 305 50k miles, new paint and tires which was way too much :-?

blue book is probably like $1500 (usd) on that car, offer him 2 grand. If he dosen't bite find a diff Camaro.

Dave

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
zliner89 said:
If it's TBI.....don't bother. :lol:
hey now, there is alot of things you can do with a TBI. I've personally swapped the intake manifold over to an Edelbrock performer RPM and dropped on an Edelbrock 600 carb on a 90 RS. It can be done easially and i noticed a huge power diffrence.

but, doing a TBI to a TPI swap is about as hard as it comes, my friend started one about a year ago and just finished last month (of course he did a few other things too :wink: )

:pimp:

·
Registered
582 Posts
WhiteLightning: Oh, I'm aware of what can be done. But carbulators and I don't work well together. Meaning I'm either buying something that's MPFI from the get-go, or buying a shell of a car in anticipation of building a MPFI engine.

I'd rather punch keys on my laptop than turn a screw. :)

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
for that year and body condition i'd give him $1000 at most. i'd rather have a bad engine and good body. a motor is alot easier to replace than an entire body.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Allright I guess I'll look somewhere else, but Camaros are so expensive in this town, and dont get me wrong the extrior isnt even that bad, the bottom clip on the front bumper isnt fully on, so thats like $20, then the fender which is like $60. Anyways, are 5Speeds and T Tops common? I'll keep looking but I'll always have this one in the back of my mind

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds to me like you've already made your mind up. You are just looking for reasons not to buy it. I say set your limit at $3000 if he doesn't budge look elsewhere.

Btw, T-tops are pretty common down here. As for the 5spd Its a bit more rare. But I 've personnally seen more 5spds w/ T-tops than without.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.