J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading Car and Driver and GM is releasing a "new" V6 based on the current 60degree V6. It has apparently no parts that are the same between the new and old engine. Is this true or what. It's 200hp too though.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
z24dawg said:
CAN IT BE SWAPPED INTO A J-BODY? WHAT CARS ARE J-BODYs? 3800 GTP etc etc...

right, so i'm the first!!! KILLED AL YOU ANNYOYING NEWBS!!!

hehe i asked about the 3.5 first credit is mine!!1

damn n00bs..

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Yup that's the motor I originally designed my engine cradle for. (they went with the 3800 series III instead) this motor has actaully been Built and tested since the late 90's They already had most of the bug worked out of it By the time I even started Desinging for GM. So it should be pretty tried and true by now. Unlike that pesky problematic 4.3 they have to keep putting out silent recalls on :rotfl:

·
Registered
205 Posts
that motor should be able to fit in the J......BUT....it will be a pain in the ass cause you would have to do a big electronic swap.....it has an electronic throttle on it.....so I would figure you would need that wiring going to your gas pedal or something....just my opinion...

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eirik said:
z24dawg said:

damn n00bs..
Umm so if you asked about it and got info then answer the question. Does this engine have anything to do with the current 60 degree V6 other than a common cylinder bank angle, pushrods, 2 valves, and an iron block?

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
I think they are closer to the older design than GM is leading onto believe.

If I were to get my hands on a 3500, I would swap the TB with an older one, or modify the new one, so it is not fly-by-wire and change anything else so that it could run on a 749 ECM, which with the info I have seen shouldn't be too diffcult. 8)

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And I think we all knew about a "new" V6 I just wanted to know if it was really "new" like the "new" V6 with VVT that they are supposedly coming out with soon. In fact I saw a new style Malibu driving down the road today, the one based on the Opel chasis, I think I will stop by the Chevy dealer and have a look. But by looking at the pictures it does seem to be eerily similar to a 3100 anyway so I'm guessing it's not thaaatttt much different.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
I just looked at the pic of the 3500 TB and it looks like an adaptor plate will be needed, not too difficult. Hmmmm......

·
Registered
5 Posts
eirik said:
z24dawg said:

damn n00bs..
i have no idea what the hell you think bud, but dont forget thet you were a newbe at one time too. :moon: oh yeah and i think youre more annoying than us. and you should be :guns:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think the 3500 looks like a modern form of the 3.1 that came in my car. I sure wuld like to see some more specs on it. Does anyone know what kind of car those pics were taken from?

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah they are still making the Old malibu calling it the Chevy Classic. ahaha, classic POS

I dunno Malibu's are not thaaat bad. They should make a 2 door malibu with a supercharged 3800 Series III

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
ridgerunner said:
It's now showing up on dealer lots in the new Chevy Mailbu.

Raven: What's the 749 ECM? :-?
It's just the standard ecm that came with gm cars from the late 80s to the mid 90s. I'm not sure on the exact years. The '749' is just the last three digits of the PN for the ecm. I believe the 749 was the interior, non waterproof one, and there was a diff PN for the same ecm with waterproofing for under the hood use.

Raven, correct me if I'm wrong because I probably am..:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.