J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know where to put this, as it's not a stereo part, but I figured here would be ok since the main purpose of the alarm will be to protect my stereo.

I got a new car, and I'm buying a new stereo, but first I need a good alarm. I know how they work, how to install them, and all the other sort of general stuff. What I don't know is specifics about brands, i.e. which are good, which are not.

I'm looking for something with remote start, keyless entry, shock sensor, at minimum. I would also like a proximity sensor and a window rollup function. I'm thinking 2-way paging is also a necessity due to the fact that my car is often out of earshot, although not physically far away (like when I'm at work..can't hear anything outside, but my remote starter has always functioned from anywhere in the building..). Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Sean

· Premium Member
24,401 Posts
Alpine and clifford are a good place to start. I suppose you could look into Viper too But their really a dime a dozen and everyone and their brother has a viper alarm. (meaning alot of code grabbers) It's been awhile since I've delt with alarms. Most of them prove useless compared to a real thief.

· Registered
2,950 Posts
since im in the market too, ive done a fair bit of looking around, and clifford looks like real good stuff. kinda pricey though :-?

· Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jakerooni said:
Most of them prove useless compared to a real thief.
Where I live and where you live are very different places. Here a 'real' thief is a 15 year old kid that smashes your trunk lock in with a rock. Besides, I'm not concerned with stopping theft. I'm concerned with being notified of a theft in progress or about to start so I can go out and break the fucker's legs. When my stereo got stolen I was sitting right here at this computer which is about 20 feet away from where I park my car. There's even a window looking right out...if I would have heard the alarm, things would have been different.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll look into it. Keep 'em coming. ;)

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
Jake; I emplore you to use a code grabber with a DEI (Viper) alarm, you're never going to disarm it that way, too many codes. To put it in perspective, if you transmitted one code every second it would take IIRC 125 years to find the right code.

I install DEI security and it's a great product, I also install Crimstopper, also a great product.

Remember a security system is 10% hardware and 90% install. ;)

· Premium Member
24,401 Posts
well like I said :wink: it's been awhile since I've even looked into alarms . I just know last I heard that was the major issue concerning the viper products. I just know the Alpine alarms and the clifford products have reputations that proceed them so I tossed out their name. :D No harm no foul

· Registered
3,087 Posts
If they want your stuff, they will get it unless you make it too hard by doing things in excess of having the alrm like manual kill switches and inventive ways to bolt your stuff down.(using actual bolts instead of screws, and bolts that have strange heads on them)Alarms can be over come in a matter of seconds, so jus looking there is not going to help you any. :)

· Premium Member
25,627 Posts
lmao, around here there was a dude who had at least 10 grand in his beretta, some people really wanted all the goodies, so they followed him to a car show, his car was on a trailer. the guy stopped at a gas station to take a leak and the thieves just hooked the trailer up to their truck and off they went. The car was found 2 months later in the middle of a corn field completely gutted.
they took his system, hydros, rims, doors, hood, trunk lid, and anything else that would un-bolt. then they took course sand paper and scratched the hell outta what was left of the chamilion paint. :eek:

their site is down so i can't find a pic :-?

Btw, i use an Ungo (by Clarion) MS 3002. battery backup siren, 2 stage prox and about 10 pin switches on anything that could move including gas lid.

:pimp:

· Banned
7,163 Posts
I have a DEI Viper ESP550 alarm with remote start, keyless entry, and alaram. I also added 2 window automation modules for the 4 windows in the vert and a radar perimeter sensor. It works great, as I've actually seen it deter a couple would-be thieves on the roof of our parking garage here at work. I have the same alarm in my old truck and am in the process of getting it removed (truck will most likely end up being a beater for somebody, so it'll save me a hell of a lot of green to do that) so I can get it put in my new truck. I love it. I've never had a problem with either of them. DEI makes awesome stuff.

· Registered
769 Posts
I was looking at the Hornet 554T. It's kinda the little brother of the Viper 790VX. Similar features but you dont get the same warrenty as the Viper stuff. I was quoted $135 from a local shop if I did the install myself.

Hornet the DEI line of equipment for the do it yourselfer. Or at least thats how it is marketed I believe.

http://www.discountjungle.net/ho55xhf2alst.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.