J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys, can someone please tell me in simple words (or with pictures even better) how on earth does a '92 Z24 back seat disassemble??
I know that the bottom is bolted down with two bolts underneath the edge of the seat but how the hell is the back supposed to come off??

And another one, how can i remove the headliner? Is it just by removing the upholstery plastic pieces and unscrew the visors and roof lamp and that's it or is there more to it, of which i deffinately should be aware of?

i am planning to redo the coloring in my car so need to taki it all apart without braking stuff in frustration :roll:

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
first step.

there are two bolts that hold the bottom in. there would be between your legs as if you were sitting in the back seat. right where the floor meets the seat. they will be under a flap of carpet

step 2

once that is out there will be two torqs T-50, or T-55 IIRC. they will be at the bottom of the back seat

you will have to lift the back part straight up it has to hooks that hold it in also.

the bottom will pull straight out

·
Registered
538 Posts
Regarding the headliner; remove the sunvisors and holders, the domelight, the 2 clothes hanger type clips, the A-pillar pieces, B-pillar pieces, and the C-pillar pieces. Lastly there are 2 velcro clips at the back, and one at the front. It'll fall down after that. The next fun is getting it out :wink:

·
Registered
259 Posts
my '92 has been a B to get out. I'm still considering finishing repairing it or saying F it because the dome light is on a rivet or special bolt or something that doesn't want to come out.. long story short, I'm drivin garound with no covers or sun visors, lol...

·
Premium Member
17,284 Posts
Those velcro clips on the headliner need special attention. You need to reach your hand up there and carefully pull them off otherwise they will just pull out of the headliner and it wont fit correctly when you try to reinstall it.

Brad

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Brad, that was useful to know.. Now i'll be extra careful :)
and i hope i wont have problems with the dome light 'cuz these things always piss me off when something is tigned or locked down in the stupid 'once-shut-always-shut' manner.. luckalily i'm still at the plastic details and doors.. next will be the dash and center console.. and then the headliner..

speaking of which... is there a good tutorial around how the dash comes out of the car? Or can someone maybe reffer some info about it.. i can't do the dash in new leather if i can't get it out..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Why are you removing the dash? Tell me not for the headliner :p assuming your just removing the dash for other purposes i think theres a bunch of hidden screws underneath and also I thought you needed to remove the steering wheel.. not sure on this one, but you should definetly use the search button :moon:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i got my stuff done without the need of dash removal :D and no, not for headliner removal.. i'm not THAT stupid :lol:

anyhows, what the hell is holding the glove box up??? i can't find any logical ways to get is off.. just the drawer itself.. :x

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And i have another one. It started raining and my wipers went kind of haywire.. sometimes came on when switching in the turn signal and sometimes just by them selves..
A friend, expirienced in car electrics suggested that the problem (all of my cars electrial anomalies) might be tied to the car's brain. By that he meant the engine control unit or the processing unit or whatever it is called.. the thing that controls all the electrics on board. He thought it might be a sh*tty ground that shorts out when moist and makes the stuff do what it does.. Can someone back this opinion up and maybe direct me to what am i searching for exactly and where should i search for it? I really need to check all of that. This twichy stuff is really anoying..

Thanks in advance.. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.