J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car has been actin up baaad.

it happens after i have been drivin for a while. then after a while i'll have my foot on the gas just enough to maintain my speed. then whenever i take my foot off the gas it kinda slightly jerks....when this happens i know when i slow down the car will jerk like crazy and then the car will stall. so sure enough when i go to stop at a light or stop sign my car jerks really hard then comes to a complete stop and stalls...the thing is i can start it up fine...starts up nice and easy and idles good...until i go to put it in any gear whether it be drive, reverse, 1, or 2. although once in a while if i start it up and throw it into first it will begin to work fine again and i can drive for a bit longer...i dunno how long cause as soon as this happens i get to the closest house i know. then if i leave it for about an hour or so my car will be running fine again. does anyone know what this could be??? anythign small like a sensor maybe??? or does anyone know if this is a huuuuge problem??? :eek: . thx for the help

· Registered
1,101 Posts
Sounds like it could be a sticking TCC solenoid, which is only supposed to kick in at higher speeds, and if its sticking at low speeds, it'll stall u out. I had this problem and i just unplugged it. If you wanna do a simple test, climb underneath the car and unplug the square plug with 3 or 4 wires, going into the front of the transmission. Then take it for a spin. If it stops doing this, then you have a sticking solenoid. If not, then its something else.

· Registered
726 Posts
the only change will be a slight decrease in gas mileage. instead of an overdrive, our cars lock up the tcc convertor. do a search for "tcc". when you unplug it, everything will be the same as it only locks up when you reach cruising speed, (like 55 or something) this locks it into 3rd gear or something... when it sticks (which it sounds like it's doing) it will still be locked, which makes the car think it is still in 3rd gear and it will stall on you unless you give her some gas. if you unplug it, it just doesn't lock, so it's not as fuel efficient. there is also a faq on this that moon posted in the misc section above.

· Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool thx a lot guys...i'll be sure to be checkin some of this stuff out...but just in case...does anyone else have any other ideas at all???

thx a lot again!!! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.