J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be tossing in a custom aluminum intake with a K&N filter on the weekend, and I've tracked down most of the parts I need.
Here's the big stumbling block... I have no idea what type of grommets to get for that hose (on an unrelated note - what the heck is that hose, anyway?)

Moon's article didn't really say (or show) specifically what I should be looking for. Anyone know exactly what I should be asking for, and where I should be asking?

Also... I picked up some spray-on touch up paint, or something like that, but it doesn't say whether or not it's ceramic-based. Think this stuff will do the trick, or should I get some bona fide ceramic stuff?

Whew... one last question (yeah I know I'm a huge newbie). Why does the aluminum intake perform better than the stock rubber one? The diameter is about the same, so it can't provide better airflow. Does the aluminum resist heat better than the rubber or something?

Thx...
(pics coming soon - 93 Sunbird convertible)

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The hose is part of the PCV system. See this post for my explanation on it.

The grommet is a round rubber piece that you should be able to find the the electrical section of your hardware store. It snaps into the hole you drill in the intake to help make a good seal. Just ask where you can find rubber or plastic grommets, they should know what you are talking about.

Make sure the paint is engine or high temp enamle. I don't know how well regular touch up paint will hold up.

The aluminum intake performs better because it is smoother. The stock tube has a grid like pattern molded into it. Look on the inside of it, it is not smooth.

Hope this answers your questions

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks moon! you so smart!

--edit--

so do these grommets come in different sizes?

[ This Message was edited by: king93bird on 2001-08-22 18:32 ]

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Well i try...

Yeah, they come in many different sizes. You want one with a 5/8" OD (outer diameter), and a 1/2" ID (inner diameter), or something close to that

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you don't want to worry about the grommet, or can't find it, you could put on a valve cover breather instead. It looks like a little air filter, and fits in the hole in the valve cover where the pipe normally comes out. The advantage to this is that it supposedely keeps your engine cleaner, but it might make your car smell like shiat when it's running.

·
Registered
271 Posts
For the grommet, go to a junkyard and get it off of the valve cover. The fitting is the same on both ends of the hose, so it will fit perfectly. Did that today, just waiting for the filter & tubing!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Man, you guys make it sound so hard. Autozone, Discount Auto Parts, and Advanced Auto have grommet kits you can buy. They are the assorted kind and cheap. I found one to be a perfect fit for my IAT sensor on my 97z. Check them out. Make it easy.
Later.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I swear... every person in my goddamn town is an IDIOT. I went to the local big-box hardware store and asked about 5 people where to find grommets... they didn't even know what a grommet is.

I went to the local Canadian Tire and asked one guy for grommets - he said he'd never heard of them. He gets another guy, who also doesn't know. He gets the manager, who says he doesn't know, then changes his mind and says that he might have something similar in the automotive section.

Lo and behold, there were the grommets.

I swear there's something wrong with the water in this town or something....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Seems like that water seeped into Massachusetts, I had to give a vivid description of what they did before it clicked in the sales associate's head.

·
Registered
415 Posts
LOL, thats funny Antipode.
In response to your objects in mirror are imports, check out this sig.
<LINK_TEXT text="http://sites.hsprofessional.com/misnblu ... w.jpg"></a">http://sites.hsprofessional.com/misnblu/files/import_view.jpg"></a</LINK_TEXT></URL>>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.