J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this isn't recent, actually last summer, but at the time I had no computer or internet, so the pictures and story never got posted. I had noticed a coolant leak at the LIM, so I changed the gasket out. When I put it back together, I failed to completly press the throttle cable end into the plastic cam housing. So the throttle was probably about 1/4 of the way stuck open. Anyway I started the car, it revved up immediatly, then a loud bang. I shut her down and coudlnt start it back up. When I did go to start it, I ended up blowing a HUGE fuse. I took the started out and this is what I found...BTW if anyone needs some extra teeth, I've got plenty of spares...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
lol thats funny. i cant say i've blown one up yet but i can see now what i have to look forward to. :lol:

10 years down the road ...

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
over revving anything will pretty much lead to destruction. starters aren't exactly indestructible. your starter was probly engaged for too long, and your misadjusted TB linkage or whatever over revved it blowing apart the gears inside.

So..if used normally, should last quite a long time. I've had no issues with mine now, been running it for 2 years now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.