J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess I will tell my story, for anyone interested.
It all began about a month ago when my exhaust started blowing white smoke. I had suspicions on the gasket right away, but it didn't smoke all time time. Sometimes I would start it up and it would smoke, sometimes it wouldn't. The problem went away after a week.

Well, then it started back up again a little over a week ago. Then it started missing on one cylinder, which would be the result of coolant fouling the spark plug. The engine was also eating coolant like a mofo, and I kept getting air in the coolant, causing the engine to think it was overheating, when it really wasn't. Luckily I wasn't getting coolant in the oil, or vice versa.
Well, I managed to drive the car home for thanksgiving break, and I started to tear into it. It was just taking so much time, that I didn't have, since I needed the car by this sunday to get me back to school. I got it taken appart down to the heads, but I knew I just wasn't going to have time to get it finished. This was on monday, so I had it towed into to a shop for an anal raping. 11.5 hours of labor their book said. They got the heads off on Tuesday, and I went and examinded the gasket. Pretty good sized blow out on cylindar 2. I will post up a picture of the gasket as soon as I get one taken.

They sent the heads off the the machine shop where they were planed and given a valve job. Guess that is the only good I got out of this, since I got a slight performance boost. Well, I finally got the car back yesterday, friday, after an $900 bill! And yes, that is US dollars. $600 of that was labor. Talk about big time suckage! And the engine only has 121,000 miles on it...

Anyway, if you read all of that, good for you. Just thought I would share my expensive thanksgiving break. Now if I would have just had more time off from school, I could have completed the job myself, but I just didn't have the time...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Well at least you can give thanks for the valve job.

btw did you miss any school while your car was in the shop? or did you get a loaner from somone to go back to school?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I head back to school today, so luckily I got everything taken care of while I was home on break.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts