J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,101 Posts
Lol, my WHOLE headliner in the front is sagging. I'd like to swap in an intact junkyard headliner, but i dont know how id get it out of one car and into another without breaking that fiberboard shit........ IMO, I wouldnt use spray adhesive if i were you, unless you actually take the headliner out and repaste the whole fabric, b/c when that fabric sags, it stretchs, then you have folds when u glue it back up.

· Premium Member
11,761 Posts
Best bet is to take it all out and just scrap all the old stuff off the board, buy new fabric with the padding on it and REALLY good adhesive. Don't skip out on gettin the good sticky stuff or you'll be stuck with the sagging again. And you have to get the board good and clean :) I've had ine out for a little over a year now. I gots all the stuff just to lazy to put it in 8)

· Premium Member
24,401 Posts
JoAnn Fabic is a good place to start :wink: But yes you can't just use spray adhesive without the prep work it won't stick to the old foam in there. You need to take the entire thing down and resurface it. Scrape all the old foam away and redo it.

· Banned
7,163 Posts
You'll have to remove the trim panels from around the headliner (A, B, and C pillars) and the dome light. Then (I think) it should just pop down.

I once used a staple gun to fix my headliner (in my old Monte Carlo).

· Premium Member
2,827 Posts
The fabric is definately available. I get mine from the fabric shop in the local farmer's market. He carries it in a ton of colors and has the high-temperature rated trim adhesive to go with it.

You might want to call the guy and see if he would be willing to ship to you. The place is Sam's Fabric Center and the # is 856-767-2552. He's in a farmer's market, so they are only open Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

The last coupe I did needed two yards of the stuff and one can (it's a big can) of adhesive. I paid him somewhere between 20 and 30 bucks. I've also seen headliner kits at Pep Boys, but I have no idea how good they are. The "high temp" trim adhesive is a *must*.

First, remove the headliner. Like the guys said above. Sometimes it's easier to get the shell out of the car if you remove the front seats. Be careful and DON'T break the shell.

Once it's out, lay the shell fabric side up on a table. Best to do this outside, it's a very messy job and the adhesive stinks.

Pull all the fabric off the shell and you're left with the remains of the foam backing. Use a 1" wide stiff blade putty knife and scrape all of that foam residue off. Grab a shop vac and vacuum really well. You can't get this too clean. The fabric is rather forgiving of imperfections, but anything tall WILL show badly.

If you find any of the shell damaged, it can be repaired with fiberglass cloth & resin.

Now lay the new fabric over the shell, and fold half of it back onto itself. You should have half the shell showing, and 1/2 of the foam side of the new fabric showing next to it.

Grab the adhesive and spray it on. You want a medium coat on the foam of the fabric, and a slightly heavier one on the shell. Leave it sit for a few minutes until it gets really good and tacky.

Once it is nice and tacky, slowly start lowering the new fabric onto the shell, and smooth it out real good with your free hand. Go slow and it will lay on nicely and follow all the contours well. Once that side is done, repeat for the other side. Roll the fabric over the edges of the shell and glue for a really nice finished look. Trim as necessary.

Stick the headliner back in the car. The mirrors are sometimes a bit of a bitch to align through the new fabric. Now sit back and admire your hard work!

- Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.