J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking through the other posts on heater cores but I can't find a good description of how to bypass it. I replaced it in august and it's now only october and its shot again, so I'll just bypass it for the winter because Im storing it anyways. if someone could tell me which hoses you have the bypass or even if you have a picture and you can point them out to me it would be great. I have an idea of what it consists of doing but Im not sure which hoses have to be cut because theres not much room to work around it. Thanks alot.

· Premium Member
11,761 Posts
I can't provide you with a picture...but there are 2 hoses running into the heater core. If you've replaced it before you know what I'm talking about...just get a connector and remove those 2 hoses from the heater core and connect them together. Understand?

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had someone else do it for me in August...but I can only see two hoses going into it so Im guessing those are the two. what would be the easiest way to get at the hoses? should I just cut them where they go into the core or should I take the heater core out and then connect them?

· Premium Member
24,401 Posts
Here.. I'll make this absolutly super simple for you

You have 2 hoses

take one off the engine block side and the other off the heater core side. And then connect the one that's still on the engine block to the open hole from where you disconnected the other and now do the exact same thing for the other one.

If by any chance you come across a problem like say you have hoses that are preformed and don't bend properly to make that connection to to your local Auto/Hardware store and by some bulk hose of the same Diameter. Each hose should cost you about $.50 each so for a dollar your issue is solved.

· Premium Member
11,761 Posts
gringo_24 said:
Is this the throttlebody bypass, same as the one in the how-to? If you do this bypass, your heater will still blow hot air right?
lol, if the title was throttle body bypass then it would be :p <SIZE size="200">YOU WILL HAVE NO HEAT</SIZE>. But you knew that and it doesnt matter cause your parking your car :)

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for your help and your replys I bypassed it yesterday and that was my problem...the only problem I had was finding a peice of pipe to connect the two because it was thanksgiving and everything was closed.....but I couldn't find the drain plug for the radiator...if someone could explain this to me it would be great because I need to drain the water out of it and put some anti-freeze in there.................thanks for your help

· Premium Member
24,401 Posts
dave3156 said:
When you take the hose off the firewall you will need to jack up the car and do it from underneath. Its the easiest way to get to them unless you have "special" tools.
Funny for years I've just used a cheap ass set of pliers and my hands. And I've never had to get to any of the hoses from underneath.

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what dave3156 was right in a way , the hoses were easier to pull on from under the car but you could get it from the top as well.
All I did was get under the car to haul off the hoses then pulled them up through the engine bay and bypassed them through the top.
so both of you were right, thanks jakerooni :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.