J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I had a really ruff night. I got in my baby to drive to my girlfriends house. I didn't make it there. I stopped at a hangout I usually go to and smelled antifreeze. I got out, popped the hood, but saw nothing. When I looked under the car there was a puddle forming or green. The worst part was when I put my hand on the floor of the passenger side and picked up an antifreeze covered fist. I just want to know if anyone has ever done a heater core on a cavi and how long it took to do. Also, how much is the new core. Thanks for lookin, Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had mine crack about 2 weeks ago. I think it took 3 days or so, but the mechanic was backed up so that might have just been in my case. It cost me around $240 (US) i think for parts and labor but i am not totally sure on that price. good luck.
Z24Dogg

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The part will probably cost you $40 - $60 depending on where you go and what brand you get.

As for the procedure:
Drain the cooling system
Jack up the car
Remove the drain tube from the heater-A/C module
Remove the heater hoses from the core
Lower the car
Inside the car, remove the left and right under dash panels
Remove the heater floor outlet duct
Remove the screws and clips that secure the heater core cover and remove the cover - pull it straight rearward when removing the cover so you dont beeak the drain tube
Remove the heater core retaining straps and remove the heater core from the housing. Be carefull you don't spill coolant everywhere
Install in the reverse of removal, and refill the cooling system

Depending on how good you are, it will probably take you the better part of a day, or an afternoon at least. I havnt actually done it, but it is not the easiest repair in the world, I can tell you that. Good luck

·
Registered
548 Posts
I had a heater core on Feb 25th. Now I am on my fourth one. Be sure that you drain the cooling system by back flushing it. Wehn my heater core went it I would replace it and then a few weeks or a month would go by and it would go again. Neeless to say I'm on my fourth one but luckily the one I bought has a life time warrenty on it so its free replacemnt.

You can buy a Backflushing kit from any auto store for about ten bucks. Thsi will get rid of all the old coolant. Mine had Electrolosis which was causing it to fail so often. Just meant it had to much acid in it. I flushed it once by just draining it, but it still happened.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Almost forgot. Mine cost 60 bucks, and the first time it took me about 3-4 hours. Now I can do it in under an hour. I actually found it easier to disconnect the hoses from under the hood, not under the car. Well hope that helped ya.

Jeff

·
Registered
548 Posts
No crap eh?? Well consider the fact that my title is NEWBIE still doesn't that account for something?? I mean god. Heaven forbid I didn't look at the date till after. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts