J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 cavalier and am having a problem with my heater. The only setting that works is the defrost setting. I can change it to other settings but it only blows air out of the defrost vent pointed to the windsheild. I heard someting about if something is wrong it defaults to defrost. Is that true does anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks
Alex

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum problem. One of the vacuum hoses may be cracked or disconnected, as that is what controls the settings.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Well, pull the heater panel off and check the connections. There will be some vacuum lines that you should check for cracks. There will be 2 vacuum actuators that could be bad. These are the round things. One is the heater defrost valve vacuum actuator, and the other is the mode valve vacuum actuator.

The mode valve is what controls where the air goes, the heater valve controls the temp, so it is the mode valve that might be causing your problem. Not sure how to tell which is which though

You may have to come in from behind the center dash to get access to the actuator, not for certain though.

Good luck. I will try to provide additional info if you have more questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts