J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... 2 days ago i changed the heatercore in my car as note to my previous post...

Everything went well and i followed the directions posted via v6z24.com and http://www.berettastuff.com in their repair section...

Tonite i was out trying to chill with a friend and my friend goes "what the hell is on the floor my feet are sticking to it..." well i turned on the light and go, HOLY SHIT IT WENT AGAIN...

I checked for leaks and it has to be the heatercore because of the way my chassis is set up... Any reason why this heatercore went 2 days after... does to much antifreeze destroy these because i did a 70/30 mix and tested it to -25° F and there was... i repeat was plenty of antifreeze in the system and it even pressure tested perfect at 15 psi for 5 minutes...

SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE... :guns: :guns:

·
Registered
582 Posts
OE heater cores are similar to radiator construction: plastic side tanks with an aluminum core. A lot of the cheaper replacement heater cores mimic this construction, and are prone to leaking down the seams.

Make sure your replacement is a copper/brass or all aluminum construction. If it was, defective parts DO come out every once in awhile.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well this must've been defective... it was all aluminum and even the pipes that lead outside the firewall...

So why does it leak inside now instead of outside like last time?

Am I really going to have to go through this whole thing again? or if anyone know's if Napa warrants there products... cause i bought it 5 days ago installed it 2 days ago thats' got to be within some time span of a warranty.....

Or am i going to have to cough up another $37 to get another... because pay day isn't untill friday and that means i'm out of a car for a week... unless someone wants to lend me money :D lol...

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More than positive...

Although the heatercore I purchased this time had Swivel Hoses so that they could put it in a smaller box. So it is possible, I will check into that tomorrow. Even if it was in backwards, wouldn't it work just without heat as if the hoses were switched?

I'm going to pressure test it and see where the leak is tomorrow at school...

Called Napa, basically they told me to F myself and buy a new one, Called Advanced Auto, they will match the price paid at Napa as long as I can find the reciept... Napa = $22 No Warranty; Advanced Auto = $36; 1 year warranty... It just sux that I have to buy a new one...

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
I'd bet even money it a engine mount that's causing it. if it's shot and your motor is rocking under acceleration (more than given specs) It's gonna pull those hoses with it. And if those hoses are clamped down real good and won't pull off guess what's going to happen :wink:

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My engine mount is definately not broken, and those hoses are connected good too,... i might have to have the guys at school help me take this one out as well,

I could be wrong but i could've put it in backwards however i doubt it. but i still think it would've worked properly if it was backwards... I'm going to bypass it and i probably won't have the beretta that long, dont' sob for me it's only an Lbody not a J... i was thinking about a 1998ish z24 but we'll see when we get around to that

Thanks for the help i'll keep postin to inform everyone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.