J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 89 cavalier Z24 for my son, It had some problems but I thought I fixed them. We changed the Tranny fluid and filter. Last week it started idleing ar 500-700 rpm and now you have wait about 5 minutes for it to go into drive. We tried to reset the idle and it worked alittle but keeps wanting to shut off when you stop the car. Yesterday the speedometer stopped working, Does this mean I need a new Tranny?? Any help would be great.
Thanks
Also could someone tell me where the pcv valve is located.

·
Premium Member
17,284 Posts
The first thing I can recommend to you is to perform a complete tune up on the car. This will rule out all problems due to small maintenance problems. I recommend you change; Spark plugs, Spark plug wires, PCV valve, oil, oil filter, coolant, Thermostat, fuel filter, serpentine belt and air filter. All of those parts should cost you between $100 and $200. That is a small investment to make sure that the car will run properly.

While you are working on the car, you should check the hoses and all of the vacuum lines to make sure that they are not leaking.

Now with your specific problems. The transmission. Are you sure that the fluid level is full? Is the filter on properly? The Torque converter solenoid is know to fail on the Th125C transmissions, so you may want to change that too. (or at least unplug it to see if the problem goes away)

The PCV valve in located on the rear valve cover, directly below where the MAP sensor is. You see that "L" shaped pipe coming out of the top of the intake manifold(the one that leads to the power brake booster)? The PCV valve is directly underneath that. It is a pain to get to sometimes, but with a little work you can get it.

Brad

·
Registered
367 Posts
Like Brad said first check the transmission fluid level. If its ok then the delay is probably due to internal oil leakage inside the trany. You can try a bottle or 2 of trans conditioner from any parts store. That stuff make s the seals swell slightly and may help. I use it in my 88 whenever I change the trany oil. Its still on the origional trany after 200k miles.

The spedometer not working may be the VSS sensor but you should get a computer code for that. Is it a digital or analog instrument panel?

When you reset the idle did you do a idle relearn or try to adjust the screw on the side of the throttle body? You cant really adjust the idle on these cars its controlled by the computer.

If its stalling check for vacuum leaks on all hoses and gaskets. Also clean the throttle body as per the HOWTO section.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
i also recommend you pick up a chiltons or a haynes manual for the basic repairs, they will walk you through anything you need to know.

your not that far away from me, if your interested my friends and i work on these cars all the time if you would like a little troubleshooting help fell free to ask, im more than willing to help out, i have helped out numerous people on this site get there cars back on the road

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
88cavalierz24 said:
soup said:
i have helped out numerous people on this site get there cars back on the road
except for me :(
He has helped me though :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot guys you gave us some things to check. I have an analog instrument panel. We did an idle relearn never touch any screws. We are going to try the conditioner first. Thanks alot Soup might take you up on that offer someday.
Tracy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.