J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, usually I know immediatly what it is when something goes wrong but now I'm fucking clueless. It's for my 93 z24 3400 5 speeds.

The story: Coming back from the track, I got a check engine light. Little after that, car started to buck at highway speed. Sometime, it goes just fine and sometime it would feel like I had a 4 cylinder cavy. Popped the hood to see one of the spark plug wires have been cut by the fan. (Using 3.1 wires on 3400 is not a good idea). So I changed that. Problem is still there.

So, I checked the code. Code 13 :roll: Thats would be the oxygen sensor, which is brand new... Ok, so maybe my brand new o2 sensor is bad ? swapped the old one in (which was working just fine), same thing. The check engine light only blinked like two or 3 time and its never on beside that.

Tried another MAP, same shit. Another FPR, same shit. Another ECM, same shit. Another ICM, same shit, Others Coils, same shit. Other spark plug wires, same shit.

Car is running fine when cold, and start to "miss" almost all the time when hot when I'm getting on it.

I had a friend following me and he saw lot of black smoke :lol: so I guess I'm running rich, so its a spark problem ?!

I'm fucking clueless now, what can be wrong with my god damn car ? :lol: :wink:

What I tried so far:

- MAP
- FPR
- ECM
- ICM
- Coils
- Spark plug wires
- O2 sensor
- IAT
- CTS
- TPS

·
Registered
116 Posts
try replacing the coolant temp sensor ;) if its messed up and not sending the right signal to the ecm, your car will never enter closed loop and continue to run entirely too rich after it warms up... rich to the point of stalling and hesitating / missing... even if your temp gauge seems to be correct, try replacing it, seeing as your car is still drivable after it gets hot, it could be on its way out... let me know if it fixes your problem :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you want we can try mine (cts) just to make sure that its not that because i remember a day with my older car that was the prob and
make the same shit and also a day i bring it to dealer and he found a
pin in connector for map was bad so .ok bye

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had the same problem on my 3.1 but it was the ICM. Maybe it's the CPS, sometimes it works fine when it's cold but when it get hot it start to go bad. I think the CPS is only 25 $ for a new one. I know it's a PITA to replace it on a 3.1. Maybe it's easier on a 3400! :)

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
after replacing the plug wire you should disconnect the battery

I think what happened is there was all that unburnt fuel, causing an O2 code.

you might want to also change your oil, see if it smells like gas.

when the plug wire cut, that prolly changed the BLM's (which are prolly locked now at some crazy number), and wont reset until the battery disconnected. good luck

and dont forget the lovely idle relearn :lol:

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
scott0999 said:
after replacing the plug wire you should disconnect the battery

I think what happened is there was all that unburnt fuel, causing an O2 code.

you might want to also change your oil, see if it smells like gas.

when the plug wire cut, that prolly changed the BLM's (which are prolly locked now at some crazy number), and wont reset until the battery disconnected. good luck

and dont forget the lovely idle relearn :lol:
I already unplug the battery at least 2 times and its still doing it.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
scott0999 said:
ah yes I see why your so confused now lol

sledgehammer time!! LOL

I'd hate to say it, but run a compression test and take it from there :(
I really doubt compression would be off on one or more cylinder since its running just as before in open loop :-?

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
02cavvy said:
red2000 said:
Well,I suggest you clean up your language first,then take it from there.
WTF :-?
I was thinking the same thing :lol:

So, we changed the CTS and still doing the same thing. So, we changed the TPS and it seams to be fine for now :roll: I will do some more testing now. Like beating the shit out of it for the next few days :lol:

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so TPS didnt fixed it :guns: :guns: :guns:

I can smell unburn fuel in the car and its running like shit, anyone have other idea ? :-?

With freescan, BLM is at 128 at idle. As soon as I give it some gas, it goes up to like 150 :roll:. It will not do that when it just got in closed loop but as soon as it get hotter, it will do it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.