J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just got this 1994 bird with a 2.0 I know nothing about the car other than the body is almost mint and it runs quite well. Im in the process of changing my plugs. First 3 cylinders no prob. Fourth comes out along with a f^%%^N heilcoil!!! I (by hand) threaded the plug into the coil and into the head again but now its losing compression on that cylinger (the pfft pfft sound) so the plug isn't getting a good seal. I don't want to put too much torque on the plug for fear of stripping the head....any suggestions, even stupid ones, wouuld be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might try that but won't the anti-seize make the helicoil not grip as well? I messed the hilicoil up so i have to get a new one tomorrow. Thankfully the threads in the head don't look to be damaged...

·
Registered
844 Posts
I believe you would use threadlocker to put the helicoil back in the hole and keep it there. Wait and get some other opinions because i am not 100% sure, but that is how the kit I had was supposed to work. I ended up fixing mine without going that route fortunatlly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i found the same thing on my #2 cylinder on my 91 z i ended up putting a new coil in and used thread locker and she never gave me problems and i drove it for a year after that just use some good red thread locker and it should hold i was also haveing heat issues and it never started to leak ....

·
Registered
153 Posts
YEah I had the same problem on my 94 3.1 z. I'd personally say save yourself the trouble and just replace the head. Yeah its gonna take some work, but once you're done, your don't have a gapped plug to worry about and no headaches. Again, just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hahaha sorry i guess im a little blinded by my lack of spare time i miss sooooo much this loss was due to my 18 - 22 hour days at work 7 days a week soooo tired lol quick fix is all i have time for lol but yes if you have the time for sure save yourself the trouble plus you can make the new heads look alll puuuuuuuurdy :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.