J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me steps to degreasing an engine with it still in the car? Like what should I cover up from the spray of the hose and should I do it while the engine is warm and idling, or off and cold? Need help guys because I'm sick of that greasy smell when I pop the hood.

Korey :moon:

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
well you can go buy yourself some auto degreaser.. Dawn dish soap works wonders as well. But like it was said yo get it off your going to need a good pressure washer. No real need to cover anything up. Your not going to hurt anything by spraying it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
should the car be running while i do it, or should it be off with the engine cool, I've people do both, but which is better for the car?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
wally05 said:
should the car be running while i do it, or should it be off with the engine cool, I've people do both, but which is better for the car?

i dont know how else to put this,
"have you ever taken a hot glass out of the dishwasher and poured cold water into it?"
well incase you havent, the end result is the glass explodes in your hand as soon as the cold water touches it.
i know your engine is cast and aluminum, but im sure it could work sorta the same way.

Oh, and to answer your question...... its your call. :wink:

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Well, here's the deal. I do this 5 days a week, I work as a detalier in a very large shop that reconditions Off-lease GMAC cars (read: wrote off)

WHat we do? Soak the motor, and hood in degreaser, making sure that you've gotten all the nooks and crannies... (you should see the minivans, horrible!), then we go and degrease the doorjams, and the floors. Go back to the motor, and pressure wash the shit outta it. If you have a WAI however, try to not soak it.

But really, just soak the fucker. It's not gonna kill it. Hell, I use a pressure washer on the INTERIORS fo these cars...

·
Registered
248 Posts
what name degressor do you guys recommend? and also for the "pressure wash" thing, im guessing u can do that at like a car wash or something, but can you use just a regular garden hose with a nozzel on it that sprays it out pretty hard?

·
Banned
7,153 Posts
I left my engine running while I did it, that way if I got anything wet that I wasn't supposed to, I knew it by the sound of the engine. Mine came really clean! Now I just need to polish the plenum one of these days...

Also, I knocked a vacuum hose apart with the pressure washer. Car was running like shit for a day or 2 before I noticed that the hose was disconnected. Started the car with the remote, it was shitty, and as soon as I pushed that little hose back into place, it started smoothing out and running great!

·
Registered
769 Posts
When I did mine I used about 3/4 of a bottle of simple green and a stiff bristle nylon brush. Used the brush on the stubborn stuff. Then used a garden hose on more of a light setting and just went over everything I had cleaned. Then went back with simple green again on the hard spots, rinsed again with the hose. Then when I was done I just fired up the car and let it run for a while to dry it a bit.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
ericksaint said:
When I did mine I used about 3/4 of a bottle of simple green and a stiff bristle nylon brush. Used the brush on the stubborn stuff. Then used a garden hose on more of a light setting and just went over everything I had cleaned. Then went back with simple green again on the hard spots, rinsed again with the hose. Then when I was done I just fired up the car and let it run for a while to dry it a bit.
thats exactly how i did it. works great. also you can spray armor all on anything black (hoses, master cylinder, battery) basically anything that can be made shiny, then fire up the engine and drive the car around for like 10 minutes, and it will shine and look real nice...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha, dang, never thought I'd get this many responses, they should make this a degreasing sticky. lol, thanks a ton for the responds guys, anymore questions about degreasing, just post it on here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.