J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I am a new registered member of moons site, and I am so glad I found this site. I have an 87 Z24, and I am having nothing but problems with my digital cluster. I took it out the other day, and fiddled around with it a little, and got it to work again, but there is still one problem with it. My odometer still isn't working. It tells me how fast I am going, but it won't tell me how many miles are on my car. I have been asking around, and I have been told that I need a new gearbox in my odometer. I personally don't want digital anymore. I am tired of fixing it all the time. Can anyone tell me is it possible to put an analog cluster from an 88, or 89 Z24 into an 87. And if it is possible, can someone please tell me how to do it. I am still new to this whole car repair thing, and could use all the help I can get.

Thanks A lot Everyone....
Z24boi87

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The digital clusters on our cars are notorious for having problems. Your best bet would be to convert it to the analog cluster. Find one at the junkyard, and it should swap right in. The VSS may possibly need to be replaced with the one from the car you get the new cluster from, but that depends on if the speedo is electronic or cable driven. In your car, it should be electronic, but the 88-90 you get the cluster from may be mechanical.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply.....But I have a question, what is the VSS? and also, the rpms, and all the gauges will work ok with the analog?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Vehical Speed Sensor.
Located on the rear of the engine, right hand side of the tranny.

I beleive everything should work, as I know someone has done it before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much moon....I really appreciate your help. I am going tomorrow morning to my local junk yard, and I am going to price the vss, and analog cluster. Now I have another question to ask the group. Do any of you know of any places that I can find the interior door panels? I am trying to replace the interior with new parts, because I have navy blue interior, but it is severely faded, it's now a light blue. I was gonna have it dyed back to navy, but I would rather get new door panles, and seats, because the ones in it now are kinda worn. And my dashboard is cracked down the center of the top. Should I repair it, or just get a new one? I know I must be annoying to all of you, but I am really new to this whole car repair thing, and I have no clue what I am doing, so any and all pointers you can all give me are greatly appreciated...

Thanks Again....
Z24boi87....

·
Registered
246 Posts
hey man its gona be hard to find new peices like that. You can get them at junk yards thats about it unless you want to have them redone by a shop. That will cost a lot. Glad to see some first gen people. Love those 87's can you get a pic up i wana see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone,

Well, I have some really bad news for you all.... Last night, I was being a good sumaritan, and I was giving someone a push. I saw them on the side of the road with their hazards on, so I gave them a push down the road to help them out. Well, because I was a nice person, I seized my engine while pushing the guy. My 87 Z24 died last night.....

R . I . P .
beloved betsy
1987-2001

I will try and get a new engine for my betsy, and I will keep you all posted on what is going on. I really hope I can get my Z24 back to life, and in tip top condition.....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear, I know how that goes. Stick your neck out for someone, and get your head chopped off...

Hey, if I ever find a Turbo 3.1, I'll sell you my current 3.1, it has about 85k on it, and was originally from a Lumina, heh. I know you'll find something long before I find what I want, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.