J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i am 16, i have an 89 cavalier z24 with a 2.8. i was wondering, what are some good ways to make my car faster but doesn't cost me overly too much.. like $5000 at a time.. i'm very poor :( lol, but ya any help would be good... i already have a K&N filter tho...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,848 Posts
$5000 at a time and your poor!!!!!! Damn i wish i was as poor as you!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i make $3000 a summer and i make maybe another grand during the rest of the year, i just want little parts that don't cost too much and i can buy each part at a time... i hope this helps..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
$5000? Drop the Z and buy a 5.0 Mustang. I can get one for under 2 grand built to 450 hp. Too bad I don't have the money. Or buy a crappy V6 firebird for a grand and put a 385 crate motor in it with a Ford 9 3.96 rear end. Why'd you get a Z if you have that much money?

lets see, supercharger and twin turbos, that should make it pretty fast icon_lol.gif
That's extravegant. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
dont listen to these bitches who are ashamed of their cars :moon: ..congratulations you have a fine automobile (same year and engine as mine).. the first thing i would do...

cold air intake and a good freeflowing exaust (like magnaflow) - about $350 if ya do it yourself (which is always more fulfilling)

rebuild it... contact jbodyperformance.com they'll set ya up good

nos kit - $600
good gas mileage plus you can blow the doors off the douchebag with the 450hp muff-stain er i mean mustang :guns:
is it a manual or auto?

stick with it they are fun to play with (and you can make um pretty f'n quick)

check out the how to section and the links youll be suprised what you can find

much love
-da chef
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
right now i want to just fix up the car i have, i never have a large amount of money at a time, that's the thing, i wanna work on my car over the winter and summer, and i wanna buy like 1 part at a time and put it on, cuz i will never have a few grand at a time in my life
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,045 Posts
z24turbo93 said:
yeah i would like to see how it runs with a throttle body heater bypass tube in it when it is freezing out???
It runs fine actually.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,153 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
right now i want to just fix up the car i have, i never have a large amount of money at a time, that's the thing, i wanna work on my car over the winter and summer, and i wanna buy like 1 part at a time and put it on, cuz i will never have a few grand at a time in my life
Wait... you're the one who said something about $5000 at a time...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
chef420 said:
dont listen to these bitches who are ashamed of their cars :moon: ..congratulations you have a fine automobile (same year and engine as mine)..
Much agreed, i know that with the money i put into my car i could have just bought something stock that is faster. But i don't know what it is about cavi's that i like so much, my whole think is to make my car a sleeper so the ****'s in their imports think " ahh i can surly beat that shitty american car". But little do they know i will be passing them with a smile on my face :D. But ya the first place i would start is with exhaust and/or some engine mods such as rockers, cam, fuel injection. Any of those will give you car the best boost for the buck(heh no pun intended).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I'd stick with the cavi even though I like firebirds. My stock 97 Z pulled away from a 3.4 oldsmobile alero so you can't really complain with a stock vs. stock 4 cyl beating a 6 cyl. Since then I have done a magnaflow exhaust, but due to the recent paint job haven't really gotten a chance to test it out yet. I heard it was supposed to add some hp not exactly sure how much though. It does sound pretty good though. It has a set of Ractive rectangular tips on it which keeps the car flowin' nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
heres what to do...for now just get an CAI, exhaust, pulley, and a chip, then save up the rest of your money and wait til jbodyperformance.com comes out with their 3400 crate engines and get one of those...atleast thats what Im doin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,883 Posts
gapmancorry12 said:
heres what to do...for now just get an CAI, exhaust, pulley, and a chip, then save up the rest of your money and wait til jbodyperformance.com comes out with their 3400 crate engines and get one of those...atleast thats what Im doin.
Thats what is going into my next top secret project. I just need the money and the car to start it :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
hey i am 16, i have an 89 cavalier z24 with a 2.8. i was wondering, what are some good ways to make my car faster but doesn't cost me overly too much.. like $5000 at a time.. i'm very poor :( lol, but ya any help would be good... i already have a K&N filter tho...
I will be putting $3000 into my 89 Z over the winter, I am doing a 2.8/3100 hybrid. I will have maybe $2000 in the engine and $1000 in the chassis. I bought a set of 96 3100 heads & intakes, and will be putting a Crower cam, and 1st gen 2.8 pistons in,62mm TB, along with a complete aftermarket exhaust, and self made headers. Also I will be upgrading the coils and plug wires,ECU programing, bully clutch, and KYB struts and shocks, and 92-94 front disks among other things. There is alot you can do to a 2.8/3.1, just do a little research.
Good luck with the project :D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,045 Posts
Hmm, looks at dates......

*click*
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top