J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now i somtimes see that individuals say that the getrag hm 282 is a better transaxle than the nvg t-550. im curious as to what will make the hm 282 a better transaxle than the nvg version. gear ratios? (about same last i saw), strength? alloy material?
i may have an opportunity to get an hm 282 getrag, i currently have been running an nvg with 215kmiles on it, with regular abuse (5yrs by me). so im just looking for information regarding why the getrag hm282 is better than the nvg t-550.

thanks
cody
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,794 Posts
If you're not having any problems with your nvg, why swap? I don't know how tuff the nvg is. I don't see it worth it to swap to getrag though if the gearing is the same. If you got your hands on a 90 gtz getrag, that would be an upgrade due to the better 4th gear.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
25,608 Posts
the NVG is slightly different in a few areas and is rumored to be weaker due to the change of manufacturing plants. Outside it looks nearly identical to the HM282, inside as well.

If you switch to the HM282 you'll have to either swap bellhousings or swap to the older (and better) external slave setup.

Unless you are pushing 400+ HP then i wouldn't worry about swapping... the NVG's can take alot of abuse. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whitelightning2 said:
the NVG is slightly different in a few areas and is rumored to be weaker due to the change of manufacturing plants. Outside it looks nearly identical to the HM282, inside as well.

If you switch to the HM282 you'll have to either swap bellhousings or swap to the older (and better) external slave setup.

Unless you are pushing 400+ HP then i wouldn't worry about swapping... the NVG's can take alot of abuse. :wink:
this is the only thing im most concerned about, but not in a bad way. i know i would have to do some conversion to use the external slave/fork. the only other reason i'd rather go 282, is that my release bearing is ALWAYS noisy, even a brand new one. and the last time i did my clutch, it was because the release bearing took a dump on me, and was spewing fluid, so it seems like i can never find a release bearing worth a crap either. :guns:

thanks
cody
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
rsisbetter said:
whitelightning2 said:
the NVG is slightly different in a few areas and is rumored to be weaker due to the change of manufacturing plants. Outside it looks nearly identical to the HM282, inside as well.

If you switch to the HM282 you'll have to either swap bellhousings or swap to the older (and better) external slave setup.

Unless you are pushing 400+ HP then i wouldn't worry about swapping... the NVG's can take alot of abuse. :wink:
this is the only thing im most concerned about, but not in a bad way. i know i would have to do some conversion to use the external slave/fork. the only other reason i'd rather go 282, is that my release bearing is ALWAYS noisy, even a brand new one. and the last time i did my clutch, it was because the release bearing took a dump on me, and was spewing fluid, so it seems like i can never find a release bearing worth a crap either. :guns:

thanks
cody
Have you tried the GM Dealership OE throwout bearing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,691 Posts
i dont see why anyone would say either is better than the other.. they are the same thing other than the slave cylinder setup. I have personally never had any problems with the internal slave and i actually enjoy it better since it can be bled if you get air in the line, whereas the external slave type has no bleeder screw so if you get air in there you either have to replace the entire slave/master combo or hope the air eventually works its way out.

Also with the internal slave you can replace the cheap plastic pipe with good -3an stainless line for a much better clutch pedal feel:

<LINK_TEXT text="http://domestic.3400z24.com/660board/vi ... .php?t=874">http://domestic.3400z24.com/660board/viewtopic.php?t=874</LINK_TEXT>
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
25,608 Posts
pezed said:
i dont see why anyone would say either is better than the other.. they are the same thing other than the slave cylinder setup. I have personally never had any problems with the internal slave and i actually enjoy it better since it can be bled if you get air in the line, whereas the external slave type has no bleeder screw so if you get air in there you either have to replace the entire slave/master combo or hope the air eventually works its way out.

Also with the internal slave you can replace the cheap plastic pipe with good -3an stainless line for a much better clutch pedal feel:

<LINK_TEXT text="http://domestic.3400z24.com/660board/vi ... .php?t=874">http://domestic.3400z24.com/660board/viewtopic.php?t=874</LINK_TEXT>
they aren't the same.. the NVG diff and HM282 diff's are slightly different, reverse rails are different and a few other misc little things.

the only HM282 i'd use as an upgrade would be one from a Quad 4...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
barrok: no i've never tried a gm one, (im sure they're whorehouse priced too knowing gm :lol: )

well, i talked to the guy, he wanted $40 for the hm282! i nearly told him to go f himself.

so i wont be getting it, and its laying on the ground, :-? .

cody
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
briannflintz24 said:
$40 and you didn't get it? Where is it? I may need a spare!! :)
:lol: :lol: . you have to get it in the next two days, then hes going to crush the car. $40 is outrageous to me. i can get them at u-pull-it for $30-$35. in nebraska, come on down if you want!

cody
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,885 Posts
slowolej said:
Regarding the external slave setup, has anyone seen a non-plastic slave cyl for this application?
i was looking for a metal slave when i broke my plastic one. the closest thing i could find was on a fiero. it seemed to match my existing one but the master cylinder was needed too. i didnt have the right tools at the time otherwise i would have converted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
34blazer said:
slowolej said:
Regarding the external slave setup, has anyone seen a non-plastic slave cyl for this application?
i was looking for a metal slave when i broke my plastic one. the closest thing i could find was on a fiero. it seemed to match my existing one but the master cylinder was needed too. i didnt have the right tools at the time otherwise i would have converted.
not sure i dig plastic, im sure i'll stick with the NVG. though they are harder to find, since the production time frame was shorter than the getrags

thanks
cody
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
That trans for $40 would sell for much more around this area. 10-20 year old cars are being crushed for junk. Checked car-part.com and the only yard in NH listing one wants $300 for it.

I bought a 57 Chevy in Nebraska once. It was cheap, too. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
slowolej said:
That trans for $40 would sell for much more around this area. 10-20 year old cars are being crushed for junk. Checked car-part.com and the only yard in NH listing one wants $300 for it.

I bought a 57 Chevy in Nebraska once. It was cheap, too. :)
yeah, car-part.com doesnt even have that many. come on back sometime, we got a gathering of folk everyweekend.

cody
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top