J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone who may have seen my reply about getting altezzas custom made by altezza lighting....I now admit...it was BULLSHIT. But I did make two sets myself. It is very time consuming but for anyone willing to do it here it is:

Take your stocks and fill the black framing around the lenses with bondo. Then sand it all smooth and flush. I finished with a 400 grit sand paper.

Then in a very large container (I used a hole in the ground) Pour some concrete (mixed, no rocks or gravel). Note: I think you could also use plaster of paris if there is a "heat resistant" mixture of the product.

After laying fine plastic wrap over the wet conctrete put your stock tails (with bondo work) upside down in the mix. Let it set up and pull your tails out of the mold. Now you'll have to sand the inside of your mold. I finished this with a 600 grit.

Now you need some Plexiglass 1/4 inch or thinner, about twice the size of the hole in your mold. Coat the inside of the mold with vaseline and lay the plexi over the mold. I used a dewalt heat gun but you can use what ever you want. Heat the plexi for a while it will start to melt a little and seep down into the mold. after you have it all cooled pull it out and trim it to fit over your stock.
Now you'll have to remove the outter lense (the one with the bondo) on your stocks. I just started smashing it with a hammer. Make sure you get all the leftovers off the back part where the 2 meet, so now all you have is the back part where the bulbs go. I painted the back to match the paint on my car. Then get some trailer brake lights from walmart or wherever.(round ones). I just screwed these to my backing where the bulb holes were and wired them into my stock wires in the trunk. You can use a simple silicone caulk to apply your homemade lens to the backing. Make sure you get a GOOD seal otherwise you will end up with fogging. Install and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Thats my buddy Aaron's car............you'd be amazed how long it takes to make those things......And what a HUGE pain in the ass they are..........

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No they dont look like that. They look like the traditional altezza taillights with crystal clear lenses. I'm trying to get a pic up as soon as possible, so please bare with me. The only thing is that you wont have the Chrome innner housing, I painted mine to match my car but you can to whatever you want

·
Registered
259 Posts
well i wanna know how to make those ones from the blue cavalier up there! i dont know how the others would look, but i do like those! anybody know how to make them??

·
Registered
175 Posts
Guys.........isn't the point of driving a cavalier over a civic or eclipse to be different? Every one talks so much about hating rice, but then goes out and does it to thier own cars. That freaking wing looks hideous!. that should be on a bi-plane or a civic, not a cavalier! I mean altezza lights look cool on lexus IS 300's ( or in japan The Toyota Altezza, hence the name of Altezza style tail lights), but not on cavaliers or any domestic car for that matter.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya know what, you're really starting to be a pain in my ass. What is your problem? Do you have some kind of inferiority problem because you cant think of this shit? If somebody wants to put altezza's on their Cavi or a 6 foot tall double decker spoiler or even put a mitsubishi motor in their car (you know what I mean), who the fuck are you to tell them otherwise? So just sit back down in your MOMS convertible cavalier and shut the fuck up.....and dont forget to wear your seatbelt.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Ok I heard a couple responses about the Altezzas on the Blue Z..........to make them you need ALOT of patience a dremel multitool........and some very solid hands....no shaking......It's pretty straight forward........Cut the red lenses out and carefully cut and heat soem plexiglass to fit in the hole.......I dont know how to post a pic but I think I have a pic of the Altezzas ALL the way across somewhere I'll have to look

·
Registered
259 Posts
does anybody know if this way of making clear taillights actually works or not? i'm willing 2 try it if it will actually look decent

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think the altezza taillights looks sweet. 8) I want them for my 94 Z24. I got a question here. Does the outter taillights with the turnsignal under the outter taillights from a Sunbird fit the outter taillights for the Z24? I was just wondering if someone can make altezza taillights for the Sunbird taillights with the clear lens for the turnsignal. The idea I have for my Z24 was to have the inner taillights covered with taillight covers that was painted to match the color of my car and the the outter taillights be the altezza lights. I was thinking to would look really stupid with the back-up lights cut out for the taillight covers. :nono: If the outter taillights from a Sunbird would fit the Z24, I would like to know if someone can make them for me? I think it would be great if someone made Sunbird altezza taillight with the clear turnsignal. Then I could use that for my back-up lights.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Chances are that nobody will probably make them. The guy that makes these alteezas will not answer emails back. So just try it out for yourself. Thats how these guys got them. I am just make some covers for the taillights kind of like the blackouts. But they will look like complete clear taillights. Only when you hit the break, the red under will show.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ok if everything goes through i'm getting a cavalier for parts.. so i'll have extra tails.. i'm going to attempt these clears, but what should I use for the red part in the middle?

·
Banned
521 Posts
We'll I'll have to admit, I'm not fond of that fella's Spoiler, I also agree that we should seperate ourselves from the Riceboy Tribes, but as someonelse rebutted, It's his choice, and I'm sure he is as proud of his ride as we are ours. Quit bashin ppl on their choices, offer suggestions and advice, and we'll all be friends.

Someone asked about sunbird lights on the back of a cav, Consider that the License plate holder on a cav is between the tail lights and a Birds' is on the bumper, I prefer the Sunbird Bumper but I do like the cavaliers tail lights, you must also install the spacing part that is under the tail lgiths on a bird. If you are going to swap tails with a bird/cav, you need the entire rear trunk clip and the two clips that mount under the tails. Look at two side by side, and you'll see that the Cavalier Tails are a little taller than the birds. As for the Red strip between the tails, it' pops off with a screw driver, so you can pain them seperately.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.