J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fellow Cav driver in the area gave me this idea, and since nobody else on the site that I've seen has done this, I figured I'd toss this up in the air - he used 1/4" pinstriping and placed it in the grooves across and around the hood scoops. It's a subtle yet nice looking detail, and inexpensive at that (12m of pinstriping for ~$4). I've yet to experiment with other things to do, but it crossed my mind to accent the two outer creases going down the hood. Nothing ricey, subtlety works better.

I really have to take pictures. I'll see if I can nab a digital camera from someone for a day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I saw a website once where someone with about a '89 Black Z24 did that pinstriping...I really liked it it looked good, but like you said...it's subtle.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah, pinstriping was hot in the 80's. I remember doing my 83 Honda in pinstripes of different types.
It will look good, but dont overdo it. Also, pinstriping takes a steady hand and not many ppl can do the technique properly, following the correct line.
Good luck and post some pics for us to see.
Later.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i know someone who has those on his z looks great

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll be getting around to the pinstriping today. The Cav driver I was talking about showed up in his (I hadn't seen it previously) at the gas station I was at, and it looked great. Red on blue just seems to work, I wish something other than black worked with red, though. This kid has all sorts of ideas, I'll have to take pictures of a few to put up here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I'm the kid from the gas station that he was talkin bout. I finally got to the message board. I did the pinstriping in about 5 mins and I thought it looked pretty good. I did it in a few other places also. The ground effects on a 1988 Z have a solid intented line in them all the way down the car and i did that too. I like it and it stood out pretty nicely so I think I'll leave it for a while.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey, before you spend any money on pinstriping, try it out for yourself. I use electrical tape, It comes in a bunch of colours and looks about the same, it's removable, cheap, and doesn't leave a mess when peeled off. You can even drive around with it for a while.

I just tried the hood scoop pinstriping. It looks great with black on dark red. The scoops 'stick out' more or something.

[ This Message was edited by: brantk on 2001-08-11 23:37 ]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We'll have pictures taken today, hopefully. You'll also see what else we've done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts