J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It never occured to me, but since my days will be growing shorter soon, I was thinking of installing a hood light, but since I'm still an amateur at wiring, I don't want to cause a short or send myself flying. Any quick ways of tossing one up there?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Well, you are going to need a pin switch like those used in car alarms so that the light will go on and off when you open and close the hood. You can probably pick one of those up from your local audio store. Mount it so that the hood will close the switch when you lower it, and the switch will open when the hood is raised. Run a wire from the switch to a constant power source. You could go straight to the battery if you want. Then run a wire from the switch to the light you are using. Run a second wire from the light and ground it. I beleive that should do the trick.

If you do want to go through the trouble of a pin switch, you could use a regular rocker switch and mount the switch near the light, and manually turn it on when you wanted it on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Even better brian. I have a switch from a remote starter. All I have to do is grab the light from my parts car, strap it under your hood, run the constant to a constant power supply in the fuse box (just in case), and run a ground to the switch. Then, whenever you open the hood, the pin will ground out and the light will be on. I got you bro. Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts