J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I have to replace my starter and would like to do it myself, Im gonna buy one and I plan on takin a week vacation from work since I have two weeks of vacation to use, I wanna do some maintenance and stuff myself and learn to do shit, Anyways, I was hoping someone whos replaced theirs or knows how to replace the starter could write up a quick how-to sort of thing, five minutes of your time would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Its not hard to do yourself. Disconnect the battery, jack up the car and put stands underneath to support it. Next remove the screws for the plastic flywheel/flexplate shield (cover). Next remove the two nuts on the back of the starter solenoid where the cables are connected to and make note of where they do, pretty much straightforward but if you haven't removed it before might want to label them to make it easier. Then you can remove the two starter bolts one is long and one is short take those out and the starter will slide out, keep an eye out if it has a starter shim which goes between the starter and the block. Then you can install the new starter and basically follow the reverse to install.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
I will also suggest that at the time you buy your starter, also pick up a Haynes and/or Chiltons repair manual for your car, great info in those books.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
yeah like raven said pick up either of those books because youll need i down the line, it tells you everything youll need for basic maintenance

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
ziggy2516 said:
It's very important to put the same number of shims back that you take out, assuming it has any. If you don't, it's an easy way to toast a new starter in a month or so.
if you have to many its very obvious, it grinds like you wouldnt believe. :-?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I found that on my 88 its easier to take out the 2 starter mounting bolts and drop it down a little ways before removing the wires. The wire nuts are much more accessable that way. Disconnecting the positive battery cable gives you a little more slack to drop the starter. Besides preventing
short circuits. 8)

Also its important to note the angle the wires attach to the starter and put them back the same direction as the clearance is pretty tight above the starter.

Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.