J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about tryin to do it myself because otherwise it is about $225 around here and they will only do it to the legal limit or 50 on the sides, 35 on the back and i really would like to go to 5 on the backs.....
i know the back window would be hard but will it be impossible?
Thanks
AC

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
It is doable by yourself, but you will probably regret it down the road when it starts to bubble and peal. That seems to be what happens to 95% of do-it-yourself tint jobs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Practice makes perfect, and the stuff isn't that expensive. It's just an odd angle to work with, and yes, most times it will bubble if you do it wrong.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I helped the guy with my z'd with 5% but its only the back windows. its easier then making koolaid.. go buy the tint (whatever type be it) then get yourself a small spray bottle some baby soap, some rubbing alcohol, a razorblade(not a knife a razor blade only) and a piece of plastic with a end like a squeegee (is that how u spell it?) and borrow ur moms hair dryer.also you want to remove all the stuff that will be in the way.. back seat, backing, stuff like that.

please read all instructions before proceeding.

1) cut away most of the rubber on the inside windows at the back (only if its a 2 door) for the perfect fit with the razor blade. thats the black stuff surrounding the inside of the window.

2) u want to clean the living hell out of your windows so use that alcohol to get rid of all the grit. that includes the outside.after you want to neutralize the alcohol so u mix water with a small bit of the baby soap. and spray and clean windows.

3) spray the outside of the window with just water and get it modestly wet.

(DO ONE WINDOW AT TIME! and take your time)

4) then u want to unravel the tint and get ready to place it on the OUTSIDE of one window. remove ONE side of the tint protector (yes only the one side) and slowly place on window. use the squeegee like plastic thing to get rid of all the bubbles and be careful not to fold the tint (makes it look very bad) once you've got rid of all the imperfections in the tint use the razor blade and cut around the window (not at the edges. cut around the part where you can see in leave about the tip of your nail (2mm) around it GM make a weird type of style bubble around the window and u want to just cut underneath that.)use your common sense.

5)now ya got your shape goto the inside and wet the surface with water and then remove the otherside of the tint. use the plastic squeegee to get rid of all bubbles and wrinkles. all the water should be gone if you do so. and it will look like its apart of the window.. now heres the part where everyone makes the mistake so be careful.

6) use your moms hair dryer and slowly heat up the tint using the squeegee to flatten the tint even more. get the entire tint as flat as possible repeat if necessary.

7) boom your done a window. if its the back window it will take more then 1 piece. use 2 pieces of the film and cut to size on outside using the defrost wiring as a small break in between the tints (try to get as close as possible)put one piece of the tint at a time when your placing it on the inside and try to get it to line up with that same defrost wire line. and BOOM UR DONE YOUR TINT.. now once in a while if you do start to develop a bubble get out the hair dryer and use the squeegee to flatten. over time (about 1 month) the film will have adhered to the window and it wont bubble.

hope that helps. if any q's e-mail me at [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts