J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to take my BMW lights apart to clean them, etc

I tried prying apart where it looks siliconed, no go.

any suggestions? I didnt know if I could put these in the oven, they are the plastic lenses, not the glass

also, how do you remove oxidation from these and make them look nice again? Mine are yellow

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
put them in the oven for a bit to warm up the adhesive holding the lens housing together, and then just pry the open normally and they should come apart much easier.

obv don't broil them or anything lol. just warm them up.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
MrPaulo said:
put them in the oven for a bit to warm up the adhesive holding the lens housing together, and then just pry the open normally and they should come apart much easier.

obv don't broil them or anything lol. just warm them up.
^^ I heard that many times, and hear it works well.

I've taken apart a few different lights... And I just did it the time consuming way... Pry with tiny screwdrivers, and cut with a razor.. Takes forever.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have a heat gun, looks like itll be the oven (when my moms not home LOL)

anyone know how to get the yellow out?
As you can see in this pic, the little clear lenses in the headlights came loose and "flopped over" so I need to fix that and make them more clear.

I want to do this before I align the headlights (they need it realy bad)

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
cavdaddy05 said:
I dont have a heat gun, looks like itll be the oven (when my moms not home LOL)

anyone know how to get the yellow out?
As you can see in this pic, the little clear lenses in the headlights came loose and "flopped over" so I need to fix that and make them more clear.

I want to do this before I align the headlights (they need it realy bad)
I've heard toothpaste for the yellow, but you have to do it often to keep looking that way, there is no permanent solution for getting rid of all the yellow plastic. Ditch the plastic ones and get yourself some glass ones, they'll never yellow.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Not sure that heating up plastic headlights is a good idea.

When I did mine, I just buzzed them open with a dremel and reglued them. Worked fine, even held up in an accident. :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.