J-Body Automobiles Forum banner

How to provide power for proposed system?

913 views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  spanky 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to car audio and but I'm slowly starting to piece together a decent system and I'd just like to know what I would need to provide enough steady power without a) replacing my existing alternator or b) blowing up the alternator I have. Also I would like to know what kind of wires I would need to connect them all, don't need to know how to connect them, just what kind of wires I will need to buy to hook them up. So heres what I'm going to be running:

Headunit
JVC 'El Kameleon' LX333
19w RMS x 4

Speakers:
ACX693 6x9's in the rear
225w RMS 96db sensitivity

ACX652 6 ½'s in custom kick panels
130w RMS 95db sensitivity

2x AWC12T 12" Subwoofers in a custom ported box
500w RMS each 92.9db sensitivity
Dual 4 ohm voice coils

Powered by:

2x a8002t intake amps
1 running at 200wx2 RMS @ 4 ohms stereo
1 running at 800wx1 RMS @ 4 ohms mono

1 a4002t intake amp
running at 100wx2 @ 4 ohms stereo

So, if I added that correctly that's about 1300w RMS. What will I need to provide the power …….. i.e. caps (how many?) optima red top, red top + yellow top in the trunk, or all of the above? I just don't feel like spending 450$ a new high output alternator after getting raped by a dealership in florida for 600$ on a new alternator pulley and tension arm, ( I was on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, had no choice =( )

See less See more
#2 ·
well first off your running pretty sub par run of the mill stuff. There's nothing high end about the equipment your using. And I'm not saying that to cut you down at all. It's decent stuff Just not real good stuff. which brings up the powering issue and you'll see why. All that stuff together if your lucky is going to push maybe 600watts RMS. maybe..... so your proably not going to have to invest into alot to power it properly. You optima batteries will probably just be over kill but if you got a hook up on one get it. I doubt your going to need a cap but what alt are you running??? the 85 (I think is the lower end one) or the 105? If your already running the 105 your probably already producing more than enough to run things properly. if it's the 85 you just very well may kill it and your cap might not be a bad investment. Get some decent 4 AWG power wire and 4 AWG grounds. a distrubution block and a handful of gold connectors and your system should be decent enough to hold your own :wink:

#3 ·
Thanks, never said it was GOOD, but decent for me. Anythings better then stock right? Ok *update* I just looked up the part number and it appears to be the CS - 130 I think thats the 105 amp one right. And why do you say I will only get 600w RMS out of all that? From what I've seen you know your stuff. Are the amps overated, or the speakers suck or what. At least, this will give me a place to start. That way I can slowly upgrade things as necessary. And is audiobahn really that bad? I was under the impression that audiobahn was pretty decent, nothing top of the line but at least decent? I know the subs and amps are their low end stuff, but the speakers were the best they had on their site. If anything the chrome looks good for show =P.

#4 ·
Like i adressed in the other post, audiobahn is decent, they have agreat amps (expensive but great) but their subs are waayyy overrated.

in the total system at most you will be drawing is like 60+ amps or so, so make sure you got a fuse or circuit breaker and for extra protection grab a distrubution block that is fused, i have a couple made by phoenix Gold.
You should be fine...doooont by a cap, its waste of money.

#5 ·
ts_audioworx_trev said:
Like i adressed in the other post, audiobahn is decent, they have agreat amps (expensive but great) but their subs are waayyy overrated.

in the total system at most you will be drawing is like 60+ amps or so, so make sure you got a fuse or circuit breaker and for extra protection grab a distrubution block that is fused, i have a couple made by phoenix Gold.
You should be fine...doooont by a cap, its waste of money.
Damn they're a waste of money, but even major competitors use them? Well I guess you know best. I've stated this in another post before. Your foundation needs to be laid properly, which is your electrical system. Get that right and everything else will fall into place. If you half step on powering your system, don't be suprised when your system begins to half step....

#6 ·
man you really have a problem with me...well i dont know best but here is My opinion

the are used for competitions cause they can store and give you an extra boost of energy when you need it...good for competition. Daily driving, all it does is put more strain on your electrical system, Now your have to provide power to your cap which will provide power to your amp. No i am not just some punk kid that knows nothing about car audio and if you want the specs to prove that a cap is merely a bandaid for a bigger electrical problem i can provide that for you. :roll:

#8 ·
hey audioworks.... Just to let you in on something real quick. You may know your stuff. Your new here and your still proving yourself and I think as long as you can back up what you say you'll be fine. (All the newbies gotta pay their dues so to speak :wink: ) but ^^^^^^ this guy and Raven are pretty much the two top dogs on the site for car audio. and if 4uhaterz is proving you out take it as a compliment. He hates it when people misleads others on the boards. Raven too. Which I'm sure he'll show up sometime to. Just have facts when you post unless asked for your opinions. and you'll do fine.

#10 ·
It's been my experince that audiobahn does overrate thier equipment. making it not "true-power" Even though they seem to be decent enough anytime your working with stuff that isn't true power it's a crap shoot. you could very well hook it all up and see 250watts or you may have gotten a good unit and see closer too 800 watts. There's really only a few companies out there that are true power.(meaning if they say their a 500watt amp at said ohms and your get it read it'll be pretty dead nuts at 500 watts) unlike the ones claming 1000 watts but yet only produce 125 watts continuously

#11 ·
Doh! Can you recommend any good brands of "non sub par" speakers and amps. I've heard nothing but good things from US Amps. My dads friend is an SPL competitor and thats all he uses. And so far I've been very impressed with the Hollywood Sound Labs speakers he recommended. Dad's friend swears by this brand. What are your opinions on these?

Only things from that list I've bought so far is the subs and the amp to power them. I just read somewhere that I need to look for sensitivity and RMS power, and the audiobahn products seemed to have those areas in spades.

#13 ·
jakerooni said:
hey audioworks.... Just to let you in on something real quick. You may know your stuff. Your new here and your still proving yourself and I think as long as you can back up what you say you'll be fine. (All the newbies gotta pay their dues so to speak :wink: ) but ^^^^^^ this guy and Raven are pretty much the two top dogs on the site for car audio. and if 4uhaterz is proving you out take it as a compliment. He hates it when people misleads others on the boards. Raven too. Which I'm sure he'll show up sometime to. Just have facts when you post unless asked for your opinions. and you'll do fine.
Man that post couldnt come at a better time, i am definately realizing that now, haha it should of been In big bold letters when you sign up. Its all good though, just as long as everyone understands that i, in no way am trying to pass myself off as a know it all, just another guy with another opinion.

and i also agree about the XXX, absolutely beutiful sub, wish i had an extra $1000 to spend on it :D

#14 ·
yea a local audio shop started carrying hollywood stuff. I heard a demo. Not to bad from what I heard But I don't really know sqaut about them. and no other audio shops carry them yet so I'm not really into them yet. maybe once I hear more about them I get some sort of opinion. They charge enough for their stuff to come off as a competitior though LOL!

#15 ·
Well from what I've read, they are a European brand, and thats why they are not so prominent in the us, and supposedly have set all kinds of records over there (Wouldn't know), But DAMN their subs hit HARD, at least from what I heard. Thats what I would've gotten, but I got such a good deal on the subs I have. Can't beat 130$ at my door.

#19 ·
US Amps is top of the line amps, US Accoustics CAN'T even come close to comparing...... JL's side by side to a US Amps, well you hear the difference...... And the really cool feature, it's got a cool little "chip" that tells you the probelms it's had and when and it stores a sserial number in it aswell- pretty cool to me :)

They're almost like McIntosh, very little known company but very high end...... and they carry the price tag aswell.....

there website:

http://www.usamps.com/

#20 ·
spanky said:
US Amps is top of the line amps, US Accoustics CAN'T even come close to comparing...... JL's side by side to a US Amps, well you hear the difference...... And the really cool feature, it's got a cool little "chip" that tells you the probelms it's had and when and it stores a sserial number in it aswell- pretty cool to me :)

They're almost like McIntosh, very little known company but very high end...... and they carry the price tag aswell.....

there website:

http://www.usamps.com/
Cool I'll have to check em out. Thanks for the link Spank ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.