J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I hurt my motor, 03 with 60k, I missed 4th into 2nd and when I shifted doing about 110km I cluched back slow and the rpms came up to 7.5-8k and I cluched back in fast before it went realy high and now the engine is ticking. I did a compression test and all but cly 4 was 180-185 and 4 was 130. I put oil in it and it went up to 150. I took off the front rocker cover took off the lifter and pushrod they look good. cranked the engine without plugs and everything looked ok.
My guess is that I spun a conecting rod bearing, so i want to take off my crank tomorrow and I want to nkow if i can leave the heads and pistons in the block and just take out inspect the crank put everything back and torque it. Thanks ahead for any help on the subject, I need help identifing the problem.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
if he put oil into the cyl through the plug hole it might change it :wink:

is it ticking or knocking? i know a good vid of a spun rod bearing is floating around here somewhere

/me calls for Dave

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
http://media.putfile.com/Spinning-Bearings

you can't really hear the rod bearing in that.. that was just cam bearings.

the rod bearing felt like i had a midget under the car hitting the floor with a hammer.. :lol:

if you actually hit 8K RPM then you might have done more than spun a bearing, the stock springs are only good for 5500 RPM and the rods are rated for 7K. what chip were you running that allowed the engine to even get past 6500?

it's possible that you broke a valve spring.. if you are lucky, the valve didn't fall all the way down and hit the piston.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what should I do next to see what the problem is, before much damage is done. Its in between a tick and a nkock, im going to listen to spots on the block tomorow. I spun a bearing and broke a piston before i know how a bearing sounds. I dont want to tare my whole engine down.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i did the same kind of thing in my old sunbird from 3rd to 1st WOT i was pissed off and it would not go in a gear when it did it locked the tires up :lol: i felt so bad after it did have a soft lifter tick after that i still drove it for anther 20k or so it was 3.1.

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
what chip were you running that allowed the engine to even get past 6500?
Rev limiter doesn't do you any good if you're already going faster in a higher gear & manage to get it into a lower gear. Trans is gona make the engine match its speed whether it is firing or not.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it sounds like lifters, the noise quietens past 2500 rpm so im guessing its valve train, im going to do more testing tomorow. I cant belive it, the car just slipped strainght into 2nd. I need new shifter cables if not anthother car... lol.. im done for cavs if this one goes, just when I started building the headers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.