J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
yes they are 74, i just posted about this the other day lol, i don't think they make leds tho, just put some of those colored gel caps on the bulbs, they sell them at walmart for $3 a pack and you get 2 red 2 green and 2 blue and they have diff sizes and im sure u could cut them and make them smaller

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
i got mine at partsource here in canada but in the US i think auto zone or somewhere similar, i know walmart here didnt have them but walmart in the states has a lot more stuff so try there, if you have an auto the light or the PRND21 is also a 74 as well and the connectors look the same all u do is pull out the bulb but make sure u don't crush it in your hand or that will hurt

·
Registered
769 Posts
Looks right IIRC. But buyer beware of the prices at that site they are pretty high. Unless that is Canadian funds. The 194's for example are $3 at walmart, and there is no shipping.

And after just trying the colored bulb swap in my gauge cluster I can also say that the colored bulbs are not really up to par. The reds were more of an amber color, andteh blues were more of a teal color. Since they are just regular bulbs with colored glass the color will also fade over time and become white again. I may look for some LED bulbs and try those they are much brighter and a much truer (is that a word) color.

I dont think the 74's are really that big and I have not seen any LED replacements for it. With a bit of work you could make your own. They sell high output LED's at radio shack, you just need to put a resistor inline to the LED to make it stable for 12 volt operation. I would tell you what resistor to get but it varies with the specs of the led you buy. Use this LED Calculator to find the proper resistor. I'm current'y working on making my own 194 replacements to try in my dash just cuz I have the extra bulbs around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.