J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'd like to say, despite the few problems I've had, it's a beautiful car. Though, I have suffered a few problems I can't quite solve now.

1) The Digital Dash doesn't work properly. The tact, check engine, and low coolant lights work, everything else is dead. No speed, no battery guage, no fuel guage, nothing. I'm good with electronics, so if someone could tell me what I should be looking for that could solve this...

2) The radiator has formed 2 tiny holes that can blow out an EXTREME amount of water after about 2 minutes.

3) The body has suffered some rust spots near the door latch, but has been repaired.

4) NOW, THIS ONE I NEED HELP WITH! I have a terrible knocking noise from the front driver side tire. I've already replaced the CV joints, thinking that would solve it, but it didn't. When the car speeds up, the knocking noise comes. If I let off the gas and go one steady speed, there's no noise at all. If I hit the gas, it comes back. It's DEFINATELY coming from the tire, though.

If anyone can help, please do!

--
Rick
AIM: NAiLED0713

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dude, I had an 87 Z24 with the digital dash. It shorted out just like yours. I had to get another dash put in from the dealer. Maybe you could cut your costs on that (it cost me about 2 bills) and get one out of a junkyard.

As far as the knocking you are hearing, sounds like you have a bad wheel bearing. It's a one-piece unit unfortunately. Give it a shot and see what happens.

Those dashes looked cool when they worked, but unfortunately were a bear when they quit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
make sure your tires are balanced correctly, does your steering wheel shake at all.

And make sure there nothing in your tire, like a nail that went through the tread but not the tire. That happened to me and when ever i would turn, the car would lean a little and the nail would hit the inside of the fender. It may be some simple shit like that. Take the wheel of and see if theres anything sticking out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reply to both of you:

Thanks for replying to my message. I just replaced the ball joints, CV joints, it's still making the noise. As for the tires, I checked them all, and they're all perfectly fine. The wheel doesn't shake at all, but it's acting like the power steering isn't working, kinda, because it WORKS, but I have to pull the wheel hard to get it to function properly. When I accellerate, it makes the noise like something banging against something else, and it's DEFINATELY coming from that front, driver side tire. Maybe the struts bad, I don't know. I've replaced pretty much everything on the car EXCEPT the strut, so.. I'm gonna check that next.

As for the dash, I still don't have that working.

·
Registered
364 Posts
This is going to sound stupidly obvious, but have you checked the fuse that the dash runs on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that was the first thing I did. I also check all the wires, which all seem to be fine, and I was told that it would most likely have to be replaced.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You should check the wheel for balancing though. maybe one of the weights fell off. You can probably go to any tire shop or regular shop and ask them to reballance your wheel. It should only cost like 10 bucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found out what the noise was. The strut was BROKEN. When the car speeds up, it bounces. The strut was grinding. Replaced it, and everything's fine. Now, how about some help with the dash?

Another question:
My ragtop has tears in it. How much is it to replace the entire top (ragpart, not metal) and where do I take it?

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
take your car to a auto trim/upolstery shop. I had a new top put on my car about 3 months ago, it was about $700.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just registered tonight and this post answered some of my questions. I just bought a 93 Z24 Cav Convertible and I have some cracks on the top and the seams around the glass window are comming undone. I was hoping to get by next summer with out a new top and now I know know how much a new one is... has anyone tried to replace a convertible top on a Cavailer themselves???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts