J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing thermostat at my parents house in the country right now. I went to take the vent pipe off the thermo housing and the nut/bolt was pretty stuck on. I gave it some extra juice and I popped the vent pipe right off the housing :( I can't tell if it was just soldered on, seems like pretty weak material. Anyhow, I called Canadian Tire and they sell the housing, but it does not come with the vent pipe pre-attached, so there must be some way to re-attach the vent back onto the housing, right?

Pretty damn pissed I tore this off at my parents house, 150+ km from home and on a holiday weekend.

·
Registered
289 Posts
you didn't have to take the vent pipe off to replace the thermostat. if you just slid it out of the way you would of had enough room. the vent pipe screws into a fitting and then that fitting is screwed into the thermostat housing. so take the fitting off of the thermostat housing and see if you snapped it off or what happened. if you soldered it im not sure if the solder would stand up to that kind of heat. but go out and see what happened to it and reply back.

·
Registered
289 Posts
or you could track down a scrapped cavalier that has a 3.1 in it and snatch that off of it. but you may have trouble because most people won't sell parts of an engine that still works, because if they sell that and then someone comes to them wanting to buy the engine its not a complete block .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fitting is torn off the housing. I couldn't unscrew the pipe from the housing, and the extra torque I gave it broke it off. It was pretty stubborn, I hate when things are overtightened.

Gonna use my mom's car to get home tomorrow, then hit the junkers and find a new pipe/housing assembly and then drive home the next day and slap it in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.