J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 Z24. She has 116thou. miles on her 3.1. SHe runs great and has been well taken care of. I put her up for the winter and I want to do some major work to her. Body is in good shape. I already have begun modifications to the exhaust system. Splicing off after the converter and running 2 side pipes out the drivers side. I need some tips on how to re-do the interior, and modify the engine to get better performance. I would rather not take it to a shop to do all this if possible, I would like to learn how to do it on my own. A new paint job and graphics are also on the menu. My grandmother bought this car for me before she passed away, so I would love to make this car a collecters item. Anyone that can give me any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Definatly put an intake on it. http://www.v6z24.com/mods/howto/?page=intake
Or you can tryt o put some kind of Cold Air Intake instead, thats a little better
You could also put some kind of Ram Air comming up from underneaith.

As for Engine internals and such I'm not the right guy to ask =) someone else I'm sure will try to help you out.

[ This Message was edited by: slayer on 2001-12-02 09:45 ]

·
Registered
222 Posts
well you can start by upgrading the ignition system (power coils and larger diameter wires),
then u can put a set of power pulleys on it ,
if you can find a twin fan system small enough you can replace your single fan with a twin unit,
(the cooler your motor runs the better the performance). if your air cond. don't work no more
get rid of that compressor (adds weight for nothing) and replace it with an idler pulley (bought at any dealership for about $40) and follow up on moon's how -to section for more upgrades. that's about all you can do if you don't want to rip the whole thing out. if you do that's a whole different ball game.

hope this helps ya
good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas! That will give me a place to start. I am sure I will be posting again soon. I am currently pulling out the seats and getting it ready for new interior. 5 point seat belts, diamond back dash. Thanks again!!! Oh, anyone with tips / instructions for a enw paint job? I have a compressor and all the tools to do it, dont know if I should try.......

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
My uncle does paint jobs, he says it costs about $100 CAN. So if you try, and you don't like it it's a $100 waste.

Mayco will do a paint job for around $250 i beleive (without body work to be done.)

so if you have money to waste you can try it yourself, if you don't like it get a paint shop to cover it up =)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Maaco sucks. i have seen maaco jobs, my friend got the top of line maaco job and it still sucked. he has two big spots where the paint bubbled up. two spots where theres runs, and alot of overspray. Put it this way, his radiator is completely red. And it cost 650 for the top of the line paint service. A good body shop will charge 1800-3000 on a paint job. And they will get rid of all rust and any imperfections. You have to think if its worth it to spend almost 3000k on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
if your going to do it yourself you should at least practice on two or three friends cars first, so you dont fuck up yours. Or go to body shop and ask about the proper way to paint a car. For the interior get some new seats, either out of junkyard or ebay. if you really want to spend money get some recaro seats.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Hmm, mayco sucks eh? good thing you warned me i was set to go there in spring. Guess i'll have to find a better place. the last paintjob was just thrown on my car to sell it faster.. guess what .. it worked i bought it the day it came out of the paint shop. after i waxxed it recently more defects show up.

although i don't want to spend $3000 on my car for paint i'll find a place to do it cheaper, and i'll do all the prep work for them.

anyone know any places? preferably Chains, or local places to me (Hamilton, Brantford, Niagra Falls etc?) I will drive for a good paint job

thanks. P.S. those are Ontario im looking for.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You should go with a local body shop, not a chain. And actually a paint job will probably cost like 2000 or so. Or you can try to find someone who can do paint and bodywork, and have them do as side job. Ya know someone who works at body shop but will do your at a different location. This way they can make more money then their boss will pay them and save you more money then you would pay their boss. (so pretty much screw the boss)

·
Registered
97 Posts
dont wax the car immediatly after is was painted though, that will hurt the paint, you need to wait at least a month befor the first waxing.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I waited 7 months to wax it =) almost 8 I only waxed it now because the winter is comming and the snow.water beads up and runs off the car better with wax. I also have rain X for the windows.. looks so cool driving down the highway and seeing all the water come off the car...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts