J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a 3.1 supposed to idle at?? My car is always at 900-1000 RPM, I swapped in an ECM from an 89 2.8 6000 and now it's at like 500-600. I really like it lower like this, makes my exhaust sound a little quieter too :lol:
Is it OK to let it idle this low??

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
02cavvy said:
What is a 3.1 supposed to idle at?? My car is always at 900-1000 RPM, I swapped in an ECM from an 89 2.8 6000 and now it's at like 500-600. I really like it lower like this, makes my exhaust sound a little quieter too :lol:
Is it OK to let it idle this low??
automatic is 500-600, 5speed is 700-800ish

there should be no reason why it can't idle at 500 if you have a 5spd. just need to rev it up a bit more to get it moving.

The reason your idle dropped was because you probly have the memcal from the 89 2.8L in there.. and its most likely an auto :wink:

swap out the memcal if you want your old idle back.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, it was an auto 2.8 6 ballz. best beater ever, i still miss her :cry: I really like it idling low like this. The only downside is that I can really hear my dying throwout bearing now :lol: Would it still make any noise at all with the clutch down?? I hear something now, not sure what it is yet.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does this mean my clutch is dying?? it really doesn't sound too healhy, but the noise goes away when I push down the clutch...

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
you'll probably get a check engine light if you keep running that memcal...

put the 5 speed one back in :wink:
It'll run fine, no check engine lights. only thing is your shift light will come on a 30mph :) and it might chuggle in a few spots while doing thru the rpm range.

The noise is throwout bearing, nothing wrong with it or the clutch. I haven't been in one z24 with an aftermarket throwout bearing thats quiet. If you want the noise to go away i'd say goto the dealership and get an OE throwout bearing. nobody has done it yet so not sure if it'll actually fix the noise.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
the TO bearings were noisey in the cars coming off the lot new. it's just a HM282 thing..
really? Thats shitty. poor engineering :nono:

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
02cavvy said:
does this mean my clutch is dying?? it really doesn't sound too healhy, but the noise goes away when I push down the clutch...
If the noise goes away when your press the clutch, this mean your throw out bearing is good. And the noise when the clutch pedal is up is normal like I said. My brand new spec (on the 3400) rattle like crazy in neutral also, make the car sounds like its a complete piece of shit or like the engine is falling apart but its normal so what ever :lol:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's just so bad compared to before... I really like this lower idle though. Can I set it lower with my 5-speed memcal?? BTW, the car started out as a 2.8 automatic.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
02cavvy said:
it's just so bad compared to before... I really like this lower idle though. Can I set it lower with my 5-speed memcal?? BTW, the car started out as a 2.8 automatic.
the low idle won't hurt anything. If you get a rewritable chip you can burn the stock 5spd stuff on there and then just lower the idle settings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.