J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader (few months), first post. Hopefully somebody can help me with this problem.
This is not a z24, but is a 1990 3.1L problem. Last week I had to get a new exhaust system installed on the car (corsica lt). Somehow it blew a pipe coming from the manifold. Every since I got it repaired I have had a intermittant problem with idling and spitting/sputtering under acceleration.
I have changed out the coil packs, ignition module, sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, and air filter. All of that is brand new now.
If I do not let the car warm up for aprox 30 minutes, it has the problems, but when it gets warmed up, the car runs like it is supposed to.
An employee of mine noticed yesterday that I had water coming out of the tailpipe, just after I started the car. the car had been sitting for aprox 5 hours. I checked the oil, looks good and no water in it.
The day after I replaced all the parts, I did get an EGR error, but I haven't seen that or had any other errors show since. I did an idle relearn right after getting that error.
I have also notice the fan is not coming on as frequent as it used to, it does come on though.
On the left side of the engine, near plug #2, there is a radiator hose that connects to something. I'm thinking this is the water pump. Before changing all the parts out, it used to leak, hasn't leaked since.

Now with all that, what could be the problem. I have been posting this on other forums, but evidently have stumped people.

thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
techsys, I have the exact same problem with my 2.0L 4cyl. I replaced the O2 sensor, it seemed to help a little, but unless I let it warm up, it will sputter. I do need new exhaust, though. I'm looking into it right now (talking to mechanics). Is it a stick shift? If it is, you can jus use a little more clutch and gas it kinda hard to get it going. I'll let u know what I find out.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
when the fixed your exhaust did they replace the cat? Do you have a strang smell of exhaust untill the car warms up?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an automatic, I forgot to mention that.

No smell of exhaust, and they changed everything from that exhaust manifold back. This included cat, muffler, etc.. I went ahead and got 2.25" piping done also.
Today I turned my stereo on a little louder than usual, had my subs kicking, and when I went to idle the engine just shut off. Im not sure if that follows under the same problem mentioned above though.
Gas mileage is good, I have used 1/2 a tank since last Thrusday and I put one hella lot of miles on the car (I also use it for work purposes). I sometimes put 400 miles a week on the car.
I hope someone has some good ideas, or know for sure what the problem could be. I started thinking, after the radio incident, that it could be electrical, something with the alternator. I checked it and the alternator is good. Battery is an Optima redtop and checks out good also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.